Object ID Issue

Section for FAQs regarding i-Tree Eco (UFORE)

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

lrtassone

Object ID Issue

Post by lrtassone » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:12 pm

Hello, I am having an issue with iTree assigning its own object ID in place of the object ID that is in my tree inventory.

---Process---
In the Excel workbook, there are approx. 26k trees and each one has a unique object ID. When I upload the sheet to iTree, using the import wizard, I highlight my source column, “Object ID” and match it to the Eco Field, “ID.” I then continue to match the remaining columns and complete import. Once it completes importing, at first glance, it looks as though everything is correct. However, upon closer inspection I noticed that only the first 3k object IDs are the same as my tree inventory. The remaining 23k trees now have a sequential number starting from the 3,00th line.

This is an issue because I need to be able to tie all of the individual tree data back to the correct tree when I export the information back to Excel.

Please advise. Thank you!

Lindsey Tassone
lindsey.tassone@cincinnati-oh.gov
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: Object ID Issue

Post by Jason.Henning » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:24 pm

Hi Lindsey,
That ID field has to be controlled by i-Tree Eco because they are linked to the underlying database structure. Likely what is happening is you may have a duplicate ID or the IDs may be out of order which causes a conflict in the database and Eco subsequently renumbers the rest of the records to avoid the conflict.
To get around this I would recommend using the "User Tree ID" field. You can turn this on during project set-up. It is all the way at the bottom right of the "Data Collection Options" window. Then, during project import, you should import your "object "id" field into this "User Tree ID" field. That field is completely flexible and can include text and duplicate numbering. It is completely controlled by the user. You can then choose to show this user ID field in your results so that you can link them back with your original "Object IDs".
Hope that helps and thanks for the question.
-Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team
lrtassone

Re: Object ID Issue

Post by lrtassone » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:28 pm

Very helpful, thank you!