Info on KML export ?

Section for FAQs regarding i-Tree Eco (UFORE)

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

mjdurham@charter.net

Info on KML export ?

Post by mjdurham@charter.net » Mon May 25, 2020 4:11 pm

Hello,
Is there documentation on doing the KML export from Eco? I'm interested in learning whether I can control which fields are exported -- default appears to be ID and Stratum.
Thanks
Mary
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: Info on KML export ?

Post by Jason.Henning » Tue May 26, 2020 8:53 am

Hi Mary,
Thanks for the question. We do not have any documentation or videos on the KML export function at the moment. It is still in beta and there are likely to be changes. Any documentation would quickly be out of date.
There are really two options for where you can export to KML:
  1. You can export those KML files from the "Data" tab, for trees and/or plots where you have collected coordinates.
    When exporting from the "Data" tab, you are correct that the only information you get about the individual plots or trees is their strata and ID. If you would like all the data you can export to CSV. Make sure the the "Coordinates" box is checked so that you get those coordinates in your exported table. You can import those CSV files into Google's My Maps, Google Earth Pro, or any GIS (including the free QGIS). This video covers some of the basics, url]https://studio.youtube.com/video/5VnOd9 ... Fmy_videos[/url]). The video refers to i-Tree Streets but once you have your CSV file the methods are the same. Exporting to CSV also means you can edit those files a spreadsheet to customize by adding or dropping columns as needed.
  2. You can also export to KML from the "Individual Level Results" section of the "Reports" tab.
    From the Reports tab the exported KML file will include the data the is on the screen you are exporting from, as long as you have collected coordinate data and the "coordinates" are shown in the data table you are viewing. You can't completely customize what fields are exported but you can export just about anything that has coordinates. I find that the most useful tables to export are the "Composition and Structure>Of Plots", "Composition and Structure>Of Trees", "Tree Benefits and Costs>Summary" from under the "Individual Level Results" drop down. You may want to try exporting those and see if they contain the data you are interested in before looking into the CSV export.
Hope that gives you a place to start.
Thanks,
Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team
mjdurham@charter.net

Post by mjdurham@charter.net » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:28 pm

Hi Jason,
Thank you so much for this info. This led me down the path to being able to import my .xslx file into Google Maps directly and thus include things like species information that I needed.
Mary
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Post by Jason.Henning » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:01 am

Hi Mary,
Glad you found a path forward. The ability to import spreadsheets into Google Maps has lots of great applications. There is a limit to how many points you can import. I think you can import 2,000 trees at a time in what they call layers. You can have a maximum of 10 of those layers and a total of 10,000 trees across all of those layers in a single map.
Thanks,
Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team