Differences between Ecov6 field manual and program

Section for FAQs regarding i-Tree Eco (UFORE)

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

gking_AB

Differences between Ecov6 field manual and program

Post by gking_AB » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:27 pm

We are completing a complete inventory project and I was in the process of configuring my project in iTreeEco (v 6.1.27) and noted that in the Crown Health category the field manual (and even the help panel on the left) indicates that mid-points of ranges should be 3, 8, 13, 18, etc. but the data fields in iTree Eco are defined using 2, 7, 12, 17 as the midpoints.

Should we be adjusting the way we are collecting data and re-coding existing data to match the iTree program or is it recommended that we redefine the category classes for each project in iTree (or map the values for every level other than 0 and 100 in the data import wizard)? Is this something that will be changed in a future version to make it consistent?
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: Differences between Ecov6 field manual and program

Post by Jason.Henning » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:13 pm

Thanks for your question. This is a very recent update to i-Tree Eco that has not been documented in the manual. i-Tree Eco previously only used dieback but some users are more comfortable collecting a crown condition percent. Users now have the option collecting either dieback or crown condition during project set-up. The crown condition is the inverse of dieback (i.e. a dieback value of 8% is equivalent to a condition of 92%). This is why the default condition percents appear off. If you choose to collect dieback instead you will see that the values match what is in the manual.
All that being said, i-Tree Eco no longer relies on ranges and can use any condition percent that users want to enter. You can edit the crown percent table to match whatever values you are most comfortable using. Under the "Project" tab click on the "Crown Health" button and edit that table to match whatever categories and midpoints you want to use, or that you collected in the field. You can even add categories if you want, going all the way to all integer values from 0-100. In the near future, this will be updated in the user manual to reflect the more flexbile approach now available in i-Tree Eco.
Thanks,
Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team