Question about zones

Post here questions, comments, and suggestions about the general i-Tree project. To avoid duplication, please be sure to check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include background, purpose, requirements, hardware, installation, training and events.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

Juliedang

Question about zones

Post by Juliedang » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:11 am

Hi all! My name is Julie and I am new to this forum. I have a question and hope that you guys can help me get the answer.

How do you import an updated species zone into the STRATUM/MCTI Tree Inventory PDA Utility? We are missing the Northeast, and there does not seem to be an import button to grab the latest STRATUM Species MDB.

Thanks in advance!
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Re: Question about zones

Post by azelaya » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:18 pm

Hello Julie,

There is not a way to directly import in a stand-alone species lists into the PDA data collection utility as that is part of the overall project configuration. You have to first create an i-Tree Streets project on a desktop computer selecting the Northeast Climate Region during project configuration along with the data parameters you want to collect for your project. After creating the project on the desktop or laptop, you can then send the project configuration & embedded regional species list to a PDA device connected to the laptop.

The desktop Streets application has a PDA utility that will transfer an xml file of your configured project to the PDA with the species available for a selected climate region. I believe the underlying xml file that is sent to the PDA that resides in the MyDocuments folder on the PDA. The xml file will have have your configured i-Tree Streets project and the species available for a selected climate zone during project creation/configuration.

The PDA or Mobile Data collection systems are designed to work with one configured project at a time...and not intended to be used for generic data collection for multiple or different projects over time. In short, you will have to create and configure a new i-Tree Streets (or Eco) project every time to allow for data to transfer properly to a specific project, and for any new data collection parameters to be implemented.

Please let us know if this helps clarify how the old PDA system works, or if you are having problems with the species list actually working on a PDA after going through project configuration and sending the config. to a PDA. I was not able to test this process with any of my old PDAs as i couldn't find one to hold a charge to test if working with recent versions of i-Tree Streets.

Thank you,
Al
A member of the i-Tree Team