I need to import GIS data from the GEO Trimble XT into iTree

Post here questions, comments, and suggestions about the general i-Tree project. To avoid duplication, please be sure to check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include background, purpose, requirements, hardware, installation, training and events.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

iTreelady

I need to import GIS data from the GEO Trimble XT into iTree

Post by iTreelady » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:57 am

We are using a GEO Trimble XT running Windows Mobile 5.0. I need to import the GIS information into iTree. Is this possible and how do you import it into iTree?

Thanks.
i-Tree Support
i-Tree Team

Post by i-Tree Support » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:58 pm

There is currently no true integration in the i-Tree Software Suite with GIS. Spatial data can be associated with records with some of its components (UFORE for plots, MCTI for trees), permitting records to be
represented in a GIS.

The User's Manual contains details on the use of spatial data with those two components if you are interested.
a member of the i-Tree Team
treewhisperer1

Post by treewhisperer1 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:47 am

So can ufore be used in conjunction with ARCMAP generated maps.
smaco
i-Tree Team

Post by smaco » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:00 pm

Technically, yes, as long as the plots are associated with xy coordinates and land cover categories and you have a land cover GIS data to which you can map your results.

With regard to the land cover caveat, above, you are essentially mapping your UFORE output results to the appropriate land cover categories. You are displaying the results by the strata you would have chosen at the outset of the project.

You could further take these results and reclassify (via GIS overlay) them by say census blockgroups in order to relate them to socio-economic conditions in your city. Just one example, of course....
a member of the i-Tree Team
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Post by azelaya » Mon May 17, 2010 8:32 pm

There is not a mechanism for combining ArcGIS and i-Tree data into one manageable data set.
A member of the i-Tree Team