Quickly define a near circular polygon around a point

If you have questions, comments, and suggestions specific to one or more of the components of the i-Tree Software Suite, this is the place for them! Again, please check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include UFORE, STRATUM, and the utilities such as MCTI or Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

pondb@mac.com

Quickly define a near circular polygon around a point

Post by pondb@mac.com » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:05 am

For a malaria study, I want to use iTree Canopy to assess tree cover within 2 miles of specific points in Africa. To do this, I need a quick way to use "Define project area" to draw a near circular polygon (an octagon would suffice) around each point. How can I do this? Can I define the polygon once, then transform the vertices to move the polygon to various locations?
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Creating circular areas for use in Canopy

Post by Jason.Henning » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:29 pm

This is not currently possible within i-Tree canopy. However, depending on what resources you have available, it should be relatively simple in GIS.

In Esri's ArcGIS or the free QGIS you could create points and then just buffer those points with a 2 mile buffer. A buffer around a point should be circular. If you already have coordinates for your points you could also import those first to a GIS and then just buffer those points.

Once you create those shapefiles you can then use them as your boundary in Canopy using the "Load Esri Shapefile) button.

If you are interested in trying on of these methods let me know and I will point you to some resources.

-Jason
pondb@mac.com

Post by pondb@mac.com » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:28 pm

Thanks Jason. If I find time, I will play around with QGIS to see if I can get it to create the buffers and export them to itree canopy.