i-Tree Eco in the UK - data requirements

If you have questions, comments, and suggestions specific to one or more of the components of the i-Tree Software Suite, this is the place for them! Again, please check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include UFORE, STRATUM, and the utilities such as MCTI or Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

A_Phillips_UK

i-Tree Eco in the UK - data requirements

Post by A_Phillips_UK » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:09 am

I'm currently working on a project on behalf of the City Council, looking to conduct an i-Tree Eco evaluation on trees within Southampton.

We would like to make full use of the outputs available through i-Tree Eco and have access to hourly pollution and weather data. I am conscious that there are limitations in regards to calculations of energy data, structural value and carbon valuation. In short, all the outputs which drew us to i-Tree in the first place.

I realise that structural value and carbon valuation are as yet unavailable, however I hoped you could tell me which types of parameters are required for building energy evaluations. In other words could you please specify:

(i) what data is required for climate types and how these are defined
(ii) how building types are classified (using ISO or IBC categories)
(iii)how energy use is measured
(iV)which emissions factors are required

Finally I have access to a document describing biomass formulas for European species and wondered whether this could factored into the project.

Thanks in advance.
azelaya
i-Tree Team

i-Tree Eco - energy effect data requirements

Post by azelaya » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:25 pm

The i-Tree Eco energy effect module is limited for international adaptation. The current Canadian and Australian energy effect estimates in Eco version 5 are using the U.S. version as local international data is not available.

The following text is from the International Versions (energy section) http://www.itreetools.org/eco/resources ... rsions.pdf document:

Energy – this model component is design for US climate types, building types and energy use and emission factors. It will not work well internationally, except for possibly Lower Canada. This component can run anywhere internationally, but would have to assume conditions (climate types, building types and energy use, and emission factors) from a US state. This leap would be quite suspect in term of estimates. For this component to possibly work outside the US, countries would need to go to: http://www.treesearch.fs.fed.us/pubs/6779 and determine the numerous factors needed to help calculate local energy and carbon effects. This would be a significant task.

Please refer to the McPherson/Simpson publication link above which provides climate region information in Appendix C. Appendix D contains building type/year construction information, emission and energy factors. Integration of local international energy data into the Eco model would need to be coordinated with the U.S. Forest Service.

As for the biomass formulas, please send the information available to the info@itreetools.org email as an attachment with relevant reference information, data descriptions, etc. that may be needed for use. We will forward to the Forest Service to see what is involved or needed for integration or use with your data.
A member of the i-Tree Team
JonRobinson

Post by JonRobinson » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:09 am

A-Philips (and anyone else in the UK) - a word of warning - don't use iTree Canopy in the UK - the aerial imagary is from BlueSky, and due to google licence conditions, one can't use derived data. Basically this makes iTreeCanopy almost useless for UK useage.

someone used itree canopy, obtained a value for canopy coverage, published it in a document, and BlueSky threatened legal action. Now that data is tobe got rid of, and not used. completely pointless!
even useage internally - percentage canopy coverage figure might get used throughout an organisation, and then published further (on a website for instance) - this would be against T&Cs/copyright/licence agreement.
smaco
i-Tree Team

Post by smaco » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:01 pm

Hi Jon,
Regarding your concerns about use of i-Tree Canopy in the UK with respect to users breaching Google's Terms of Use: at this point, we still believe that users of i-Tree Canopy--when used as intended--do not violate or breach Google's Terms of Use in any of the listed forms under their Restrictions on Use:

"2. Restrictions on Use. Unless you have received prior written authorization from Google (or, as applicable, from the provider of particular Content), you must not:
(a) copy, translate, modify, or make derivative works of the Content or any part thereof;
(b) redistribute, sublicense, rent, publish, sell, assign, lease, market, transfer, or otherwise make the Products or Content available to third parties;
(c) reverse engineer, decompile or otherwise attempt to extract the source code of the Service or any part thereof, unless this is expressly permitted or required by applicable law;
(d) use the Products in a manner that gives you or any other person access to mass downloads or bulk feeds of any Content, including but not limited to numerical latitude or longitude coordinates, imagery, and visible map data;
(e) delete, obscure, or in any manner alter any warning or link that appears in the Products or the Content; or
(f) use the Service or Content with any products, systems, or applications for or in connection with (i) real time navigation or route guidance, including but not limited to turn-by-turn route guidance that is synchronized to the position of a user's sensor-enabled device; or (ii) any systems or functions for automatic or autonomous control of vehicle behavior;
(g) use the Products to create a database of places or other local listings information."

When i-Tree Canopy is used as intended, there is no modification, redistribution, reverse engineering, mass downloading, or obscuring of content. Nor does Canopy provide routing or create databases of local places or listings.

Again, we are unaware of any use of i-Tree Canopy that is contrary to Google's Terms of Use.

Sincerely,
Scott
a member of the i-Tree Team