plot

If you have questions, comments, and suggestions specific to one or more of the components of the i-Tree Software Suite, this is the place for them! Again, please check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include UFORE, STRATUM, and the utilities such as MCTI or Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

francesca.siena

plot

Post by francesca.siena » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:45 am

Hi!
we're trying to make a study with ufore models in Milan (Italy). Our purpose is to estimate the effects of an Urban Park on pollution. We just have got an inventory of trees and shrubs of this park....So I can't understand which kind of information about the plot are necessary. In particular how can I decide and estimate the plot center, the plot radius and the reference object if we don't make a sample but an inventory of the Park? Are these data necessary?
thank you very much!
Francesca
StormyJerry

Post by StormyJerry » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:42 pm

Hi Francesca --

Here is the response from Dave Nowak (Project Leader, USDA Forest Service, Northern Research Station) to your interesting question:

"You are right: with a complete inventory of trees, plot data are not necessary. We will alter the i-Tree User’s Manual to make that clearer in the next edition

There are two ways to get an estimate of pollution removal for the entire tree population in an area.

Option #1: Enter all the tree data in as one plot, including all the crown parameters. Distance and direction to building is not required. An estimate of pollution removal could then be made for the tree population.

Option #2: If no crown parameter information is available for each tree, we can provide a less precise estimate of the pollution removal. Send us the amount of tree canopy cover in the park (number of ha of canopy cover). We would need to assume a leaf area index, but could derive a pollution removal estimate.

Each method requires that you have local air pollution data (hourly) that can be sent to us in the proper format (see the User’s Manual). We will also need to know the year of the pollution data. We have worldwide weather data for 1995-2002 and 2004-2005 that can be used for your area."

Thanks for using the i-Tree Forum!
francesca.siena

weather data

Post by francesca.siena » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:18 am

For weather data, if possible, we would like to send you our local data. So in which format is better to send them to you? thanks a lot in advance for this and other questions I will surely make you!
Francesca
StormyJerry wrote:Hi Francesca --

Here is the response from Dave Nowak (Project Leader, USDA Forest Service, Northern Research Station) to your interesting question:

"You are right: with a complete inventory of trees, plot data are not necessary. We will alter the i-Tree User’s Manual to make that clearer in the next edition

There are two ways to get an estimate of pollution removal for the entire tree population in an area.

Option #1: Enter all the tree data in as one plot, including all the crown parameters. Distance and direction to building is not required. An estimate of pollution removal could then be made for the tree population.

Option #2: If no crown parameter information is available for each tree, we can provide a less precise estimate of the pollution removal. Send us the amount of tree canopy cover in the park (number of ha of canopy cover). We would need to assume a leaf area index, but could derive a pollution removal estimate.

Each method requires that you have local air pollution data (hourly) that can be sent to us in the proper format (see the User’s Manual). We will also need to know the year of the pollution data. We have worldwide weather data for 1995-2002 and 2004-2005 that can be used for your area."

Thanks for using the i-Tree Forum!
Heythatsmybike
i-Tree Team

Weather Data

Post by Heythatsmybike » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:51 pm

Hi Francesca,

I was wondering the same thing about the weather. Are you collecting data on your own weather station or how were you going to get it? I contacted them and they use ISHWO format for the data. I attached a document that explains the columns and units of data needed. It is pretty involved to get it correct; I am sure that is why they like to use the data they have in the office.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StormyJerry

Post by StormyJerry » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:07 pm

I had to Google ISHWO, don't think I've ever seen the term:

Integrated surface hourly weather observations:the ISHWO Database is composed of worldwide surface weather observations from about 20,000 stations, collected and stored from sources such as Automated Weather Network (AWN), Global Telecommunications System (GTS), Automated Surface Observing system (ASOS), and data keyed from paper forms. Vols. 1/4-9/12 contain retrospective data for the years 1995-1999; vols. 13/16- contain annual data for the years 2000-.

The things you learn...
francesca.siena

weather data

Post by francesca.siena » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:22 am

Tanks a lot! :D