PDA for use with Streets

If you have questions, comments, and suggestions specific to one or more of the components of the i-Tree Software Suite, this is the place for them! Again, please check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include UFORE, STRATUM, and the utilities such as MCTI or Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

AGH

PDA for use with Streets

Post by AGH » Mon May 23, 2011 11:15 am

Building a spreadsheet on my DroidX to match the Streets database by using the synthetic Excel app I downloaded from the marketplace may not be an option. I would like to take the easiest and most cost effective approach to paperless entry.
Can you recommend a PocketPC or PDA brand and model to use with Itree? I already know it has to be a used model because there are no newer PDAs sold with Windows Mobile 6 or less, which seems to be where the compatability stops with ITree.
Jerry

Post by Jerry » Mon May 23, 2011 1:18 pm

Just want to point out the you are not obligated to use the i-Tree PDA app to collect field data, and thus are not limited to Windows OS PDAs.

For instance: a Palm OS PDA now made by Aceeca is available for under USD 200, in addition to a ruggedized version for twice that if you are using it professionally. Then you can either use Pendragon Forms, well worth it if you want control, or something like the freeware db-tools, which I often use for Streets data collection on smaller projects because it is free and fast in the field.

With either of these, output is an Excel file that can then be imported into Streets in the standard manner.
AGH

PDA for use with Streets

Post by AGH » Mon May 23, 2011 6:58 pm

Thanks for the ideas. Well if all I need is an output file in Excel, maybe I should just set up a Quicksheet document that matches what Streets is looking for. I already have Quickoffice on my phone and it seems to function OK.

What is the standard method for importing the raw data file into Streets without using the Streets PDA Transfer opton under tools?
Jerry

Re: PDA for use with Streets

Post by Jerry » Wed May 25, 2011 5:17 pm

AGH wrote:What is the standard method for importing the raw data file into Streets without using the Streets PDA Transfer opton under tools?
Method to import Excel spreadsheet into Streets is laid out in the Users Manual, last I looked.
AGH

Re: PDA for use with Streets

Post by AGH » Thu May 26, 2011 2:50 am

Jerry wrote:
AGH wrote:What is the standard method for importing the raw data file into Streets without using the Streets PDA Transfer opton under tools?
Method to import Excel spreadsheet into Streets is laid out in the Users Manual, last I looked.
Are you referring to the one-sentence description about Importing an Access database inventory on page 35? That's all I can find in the manual. I am looking to setup an spreadsheet on my phone to collect the field data for ultimate transfer into Streets. I imagine that once I copy the fake-excel file into Access, there is some formatting specifics before Streets recognizes the fields.
Jerry

Post by Jerry » Thu May 26, 2011 6:31 am

Al or another of the i-Tree staff will have to give you details on this, since I do not have the current Manual available. Basically, you import the spreadsheet into Access, then import Access into Streets. A detailed description used to be in the Streets Appendix.

Biggest 2 tricks: 1) make sure your data are formatted as numbers, since sometimes coming off a PDA they are formatted as text; 2) make sure the headers are exactly correct.

Concerning the second, there is an i-Tree Excel template that can be useful:

http://www.itreetools.org/streets/resou ... mplate.xls

There is another similar Excel template whose headers have been tested here:

http://forums.itreetools.org/viewtopic.php?t=359

Again, since a new version of Streets is now available, the i-Tree team can tell you whether the headers are still valid.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Jerry on Thu May 26, 2011 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Streets import resources

Post by azelaya » Thu May 26, 2011 8:53 am

There is a 9-10 page Formatting Existing Inventory into Streets Guide that is available on the i-Tree website under the Resources - Archives http://www.itreetools.org/resources/archives.php section see Streets Import Resources tab. The existing v4 Streets manual also points you to these resources for additional guidance.

The website section has resources specific to the Streets import process including an example of an Excel inventory before and after formatting for Streets which can be used for reference. In addition, the guide has the stepped out Microsoft Access procedures detailed for turning an Excel file into Access database and bringing it into Streets. The guide was developed for version 3 but there are no changes since version 4.

Hope this helps,
Al
A member of the i-Tree Team
Jerry

Post by Jerry » Thu May 26, 2011 8:57 am

Thanks, Al.
AGH

data transfer error

Post by AGH » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:05 pm

I finally went with the Dell Axim x51 PDA instead of attempting the inventory with my DroidX. Using the PDA version 3.0.13, I was able to collect a portion of the sample data and transfer it into I-tree vs4.0.1. Then I cleaned off the PDA, and went back to the field to continue with new tree input. Now I want to add this additional tree data to the existing tree count to complete the input, but the second transfer will not work. I am getting the I-tree Streets message “An unexpected error occurred while retrieving data form the PDA”. I have exited the streets program on the PDA, and the work-with-PDA screen is blue, so it seems the connection is good. Why wont the data transfer?
azelaya
i-Tree Team

PDA unexpected error during data transfer

Post by azelaya » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:23 pm

Please first make sure that your file on the device is backed up to a storage card and then try a soft reset of the device. Depending on how the the Streets program was shut down, the desktop may not recognize that it was closed properly which may cause this type of error in data transfer. Please let us know if you still are receiving the error after retrying.

Thanks,
Al
AGH

PDA unexpected error during data transfer

Post by AGH » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:37 am

Did the soft reset but still having the error. Even though WMDC is functioning fine and is connected to the device, Streets cannot retrieve the data.
azelaya
i-Tree Team

PDA unexpected error in data transfer

Post by azelaya » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:41 am

Can you please send us a copy of the istreets.xml file, which will be in the MyDocuments folder on the device. Please also send the associated Streets project. We can try to test as there may be something corrupt but it is hard to say definitively. Please send as an email attachment to info@itreetools.org

Many thanks,
Al
Jerry

Post by Jerry » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:04 pm

Nice support, guys!
azelaya
i-Tree Team

PDA unexpected error in data transfer

Post by azelaya » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:52 am

We believe we identified the problem and resolved this issue. A new tree species (abeto de espana) was added to the available species list in the Streets desktop. A tilde (~) character was used in the name over the 'n' in espana which caused problems when selected on the PDA. After removing the character in the PDA xml file and modifying the name in the desktop, the application transferred properly in further testing.

In short, it would be best for users to avoid using the tilde (~) or other characters when assigning common names to newly added tree species.

Al
dellings
i-Tree Team

Post by dellings » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:46 pm

As Al stated, the error was indeed a result of the Spanish N in the word espana. As it turns out, any non-ASCII character will cause this issue. The ASCII character set is comprised of 128 characters. This basic set is then extended by an additional 128 characters from your currently selected ANSI code page, typically English-US within the US.

i-Tree Streets and the PDA application both expect the data file to be in UTF8 format. UTF8, like the ANSI standard, includes the entire ASCII character set. Unlike ANSI, UTF8 does not have code pages and instead uses a sequence of multiple characters to represent a non-ASCII character. This allows UTF8 to include all characters from the Unicode character set without the use of code pages.

If only ASCII characters are used, it's impossible to differentiate between a UTF8, an ASCII, or an ANSI document. When non-ASCII characters are involved, it's easier to distinguish among them. i-Tree Streets correctly output the data for the PDA in UTF8 format. The PDA application was however saving the data in ANSI format. The failure of the PDA application to save the data in the right format is what caused the error.

I've implemented a fix for this issue, but it will not be available until the next release cycle. Until then avoid using any non-ASCII characters in your data.

- David