iTree Hydro

If you have questions, comments, and suggestions specific to one or more of the components of the i-Tree Software Suite, this is the place for them! Again, please check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include UFORE, STRATUM, and the utilities such as MCTI or Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

EGeorge

iTree Hydro

Post by EGeorge » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:34 pm

Was reviewing the iTree Hydro after downloading the iTree Suite 4.0

Question A: Tried a raw data sample entry for a location and I could not enter my city location. The entry field did not take any data entries. Is this an issue for raw data entry for iTree Hydro~

Question B: There is not always USGS stream flow data for locations.
This includes a local river for which I would like to utilize the application for river forest assessments. Thus, will this prevent me from utilizing the application in the future without the USGS streamflow data~

Question C: In the next few months part of my river conservancy research plan includes taking regular stream temperature measurements at various points along a river. Stream temperature is an important variable for assessing river health. The USGS in Colorado Springs, CO has a group which specializes in stream temperature modeling.

I do not work for USGS and their work and research is right on. Can there be future consideration for including stream temperature not just stream flow. My perspective is that stream temperature is related to forest canopy, in addition, to groundwater drainage, water diversions, and proximity to urban and high use areas.
i-Tree Support
i-Tree Team

i-Tree Hydro

Post by i-Tree Support » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:25 pm

Thanks for your interest in Hydro and suggestions for future consideration.

Question A - The city data information is entered under the Input - Raw Data Input form. Since this tool is watershed based, the city drop down does not contain every city & town in U.S. but should have enough options listed to allow for navigating and choosing weather & stream gauge station within a study watershed area.

Question B - Yes, there are limitations to the number and location of USGS stream flow stations that contain the necessary information to run with the Hydro model. The model will allow for users to provide their own data if it is available. However, this may be challenging to find this information and also to have it formatted properly as per the example on the Resources -Archives web page under i-Tree Hydro Resources. See http://www.itreetools.org/hydro/resourc ... xample.txt

Question C - I will pass along your suggestion about stream temperature to the Hydro Developers for future consideration. However, I don't know if temp data is readily available from most gauging stations.

Al
a member of the i-Tree Team