Recording GPS coordinates

If you have questions, comments, and suggestions specific to one or more of the components of the i-Tree Software Suite, this is the place for them! Again, please check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include UFORE, STRATUM, and the utilities such as MCTI or Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

Richard

Recording GPS coordinates

Post by Richard » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:24 am

I have a Pharos 600e, which appears to be recording the GPS coordinates well. I am using i-tree Streets. I wonder how long you should wait to "accept" the GPS coordinates. We have tapped on "capture" and waited a minute. But I wonder if you can wait for half a minute? Or is there another guideline, for example, after the unit averages x number of coordinates?
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Recoding GPS coordinates

Post by azelaya » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:45 pm

I can't really provide any specific guidelines for your unit as I believe there are many variables to consider such as the accuracy of the unit, number and position of satellites available, canopy/building interference and other unit settings such as allowing 3 or 4 minimum satellites for data collection.

I worked with an old Trimble GeoExplorer with differential correction and usually captured 10 to 15 points when capturing data in parks mostly in winter. We tried multiple scenario before coming up with our own spec of 10-20 points based on our local testing.

In short, if your points are still at the same accuracy on a map when collecting at a 1/2 minute, I would continue working with that time frame.

Al
A member of the i-Tree Team