Data entry from excel to access

If you have questions, comments, and suggestions specific to one or more of the components of the i-Tree Software Suite, this is the place for them! Again, please check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include UFORE, STRATUM, and the utilities such as MCTI or Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

jwj42

Data entry from excel to access

Post by jwj42 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:19 pm

I am a new user to i-tree and access. I have complete inventories(estimated from LiDAR Analyst and ground collected samples) for 2 cities what i need to understand is how i can enter my species and DBH data into an access database to plug into i-tree. I have downloaded a sample access sheet and i am not sure how to fill it out. That is do i enter each tree species 4 times if there are 4 3-6" dbhs and 2 times for 9-12" dbh. Are street segments necessary or just the total street mileage.
Please help me
Wes
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Data entry from Excel to Access

Post by azelaya » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:15 am

There is only one application that will let you import data in from an existing inventory which is i-Tree Streets. You will need to have your data formatted as specified in the Streets manual on pg 25 & 26 to allow the application to accept your data. It is easier to reformat and set up data in Excel but it will utlimately need to be in an Access databse with a table named STRATUM_Inventory to import into an existing Streets project.

Streets does not have a mechanism for entering muti-stem DBH trees so I would advise you to refer to the methods used for data collection by the Forest Service when developing the model. They describe several procedures that may be useful in accounting for such trees. http://www.urbanforestrysouth.org/resou ... /file_name

Streets species codes can be found on the website on the Resources- Archives page under the Streets/STRATUM section.

Street segments are used if you are working with a sample of the entire street tree population. The Streets manual can be found on the i-Tree website under the Resources - Manuals & Workbooks tab which will guide you through much of the project phases..

Regards,
Al
A member of the i-Tree Team
dmnall

Post subject: Data entry from Excel to Access

Post by dmnall » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:57 am

I just wanted to ask a follow up question on this post. Is there really no way to enter an existing inventory into i-Tree Eco? Unfortunately, Streets does not have the outputs I'm after and entering 2,000+ entries one at a time seems really tedious.

Thanks,
Dan
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Importing existing data into Eco

Post by azelaya » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:53 am

There is not a defined methodology for importing existing data into Eco. This functionality is something that the development team will be looking at in the near future but a time line has not established. There is a demand for this type of function from Eco users but it is very difficult to create given the complex database structure of Eco and the necessary data integrity checks.

The USFS Urban Forestry South office has been assisting people working with the Eco inventory option to import in data collected using dataloggers and tools that they have developed. However, this is something that they are currently supporting. You can investigate if this option may be of use for your current situation.
http://www.urbanforestrysouth.org/resou ... chterm=eco

Thanks,
Al
A member of the i-Tree Team
dmnall

Importing existing data into Eco

Post by dmnall » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:06 pm

Thanks for the response. I will look into those options.

Dan
ccrhodes

Re: Post subject: Data entry from Excel to Access

Post by ccrhodes » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:12 pm

dmnall wrote:I just wanted to ask a follow up question on this post. Is there really no way to enter an existing inventory into i-Tree Eco? Unfortunately, Streets does not have the outputs I'm after and entering 2,000+ entries one at a time seems really tedious.

Thanks,
Dan
Dan, you can try to enter your data into the access tables Eco creates when you create a new project to by pass the single entry format of the form...

Take a look at the input.mdb file created and look at the tables it creates...it worked best for us to export the tables we need to excel, reformat our data to the ECO format, then copy the data back into access tables...still involved some trying reformatting but better than single entry method! (4000+ trees in ours)

This method requires you take a look at the relationship between the tables so you know which ones to populate first, and taking a look at the design view of the tables (simultaneously with the manual in hand) to make sure you are entering data in right format (e.g. collecting percentages in midpoints of 5%)

Hope that might help you get started!!
Cheers
Carolyn