New user question re paper data entry on Eco "Tree Info

If you have questions, comments, and suggestions specific to one or more of the components of the i-Tree Software Suite, this is the place for them! Again, please check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include UFORE, STRATUM, and the utilities such as MCTI or Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

chamma

New user question re paper data entry on Eco "Tree Info

Post by chamma »

Hi, I am getting started on using paper data forms to enter data into Eco v.3.0.8 from a sample inventory. I've looked through the manual and searched the forum, but am still unsure about what to enter for "NR", "DR", and "DS" on the "Tree Info" tab. What are these items? Thanks in advance.
chamma

Additional question on Plot Size in Eco setup

Post by chamma »

Hello again - an additional question has just come up as I deleted my first Eco project and created a new one.

In the field I originally sampled 75 0.2-acre plots. But for data analysis purposes, I am averaging the data so that I now have 30 plots I want to enter into Eco. Do I therefore need to adjust my plot size to reflect this - that is, should I enter the 30 plots as being 0.5 ac each (total acreage sampled would be equivalent to 75 0.2-ac plots)? Thanks again.
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Eco data entry for Tree info DR, DS & N/R

Post by azelaya »

DR is Direction from plot center and DS is distance to plot center. See page 27 of the Eco manual http://www.itreetools.org/resource_lear ... books.shtm for further details and proper format for data entry.

N/R refers to tree status. An initial sample will always be "O" for original inventory. Please refer to page 29 for details on the options available for cases if your are reinventorying.
A member of the i-Tree Team
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Eco Plot size averaging

Post by azelaya »

We do not offer guidelines for changing plot number and sizes after data has been collected in the field. My initial thoughts would be that you may increase the standard error associated with your estimates by decreasing the overall plot quantity despite still increasing the plot size to compensate. There may be other areas affected depending on the other data that you have collected such as ground cover, energy effects related to tree-building interactions.

I am trying to see if I can get additional thoughts on your approach from the Forest Service and will get back to you.

Al
chamma

Post by chamma »

Al - thanks for the help.

Chris
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Eco plot size averaging

Post by azelaya »

Just to follow-up for those following this topic:

The Forest Service has stated that artificially lowering the number of sampled plots would increase the variance and standard error. Therefore, it can be done if desired but statistically it would be incorrect.

Regards,
Al