New User & Questions On Setup

If you have questions, comments, and suggestions specific to one or more of the components of the i-Tree Software Suite, this is the place for them! Again, please check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include UFORE, STRATUM, and the utilities such as MCTI or Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

vilofcal

New User & Questions On Setup

Post by vilofcal » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:23 pm

I am a new user to i-Tree. I have a full inventory which has been massaged to fit the required columns, species codes and other stipulated field constraints. I do not own Microsoft Access and wonder if the application is necessary to purchase because i-Tree is based on it or can send my Excel spreadsheet to someone via email and have it converted to an access document, have them return the attachment and then upload it. I can't see investing in the program to convert one document if that is the case. Is there any reason to have to return to my Excel inventory after I upload it? Once I have it loaded, I intend to make the changes that have occurred since the inventory was done in 2006-2008 in 3 phases. Is 2008 an acceptable SurveyDate or do I need an actual date 00/00/0000 in that field?

How can I modify an entry in the event a tree dies, needs to be removed, needs to have the stump removed, needs to have the site prepped, has a tree planted, the species updated, the tree needs to be watered and the wrap/staking needs to be removed? Can I modify the entry as the process evolves? i-Tree must be a fluid, maintenance aware program or no one would bother with the extensive prep work, right?

I have several species of trees in my inventory that were not listed in the Midwest zone (micro climates???) but were listed in other zones. I entered the species codes on my inventory and wonder if this will cause a problem during upload because they are not in the Midwest list.

I see that the ID field is a self assigning field. We have numbered tags on every tree in the Village. I do not see a place to keep that data without sacrificing the "comments" field. I have used the SurveyorId slot because it is the only other column that allows text. I wish the OtherOne, Two, Three columns would accept text in addition to the 1-10 option.

Can I add data to any field that I don't load to on the initial upload, like GPS at a later date or am I limited to the columns I initially select.

Sorry for the lengthy post... Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
Lisa
azelaya
i-Tree Team

New user questions on set-up

Post by azelaya » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:34 pm

Hello Lisa,

Although you don’t need Microsoft Access to run Streets. Unfortunately you do need to change your Excel data into an Access database format to allow it to be imported into Streets. This requires that you have access to Microsoft Access. Streets does not have a method yet to import directly from an Excel spreadsheet. We can only provide support for the process but we do not actually perform this service for users.

As for your question about modifying your data in phases and desiring a fluid, maintenance aware program, I would suggest that you make sure that you fully understand both your desired objectives and the limitations of the i-Tree Tools. There is documention available that informs the user of the value that i-Tree can add and why many people go through the extensive prep work.

i-Tree is a state-of-the-art, peer-reviewed software suite from the USDA Forest Service that provides urban forestry analysis and benefits assessment tools. The i-Tree Tools help communities of all sizes to strengthen their urban forest management and advocacy efforts by quantifying the structure of community trees and the environmental services that trees provide.

If you are looking for a tool that allows you to modify entries for tree death, removal needs, site prep, etc., you will find that the i-Tree application tools are not fluid and were not developed to address that need as there are commercial products available and simple homemade databases that can provide that service. This is why fields such as the Other1, 2 & 3 fields are not sophisticated and only allow for simple Yes/No or multiple choice type scenarios.

The species that you used which were outside the Midwest climate zone will need to have species value assignments once the data is brought into Streets.

Yes, you can add data after the initial upload of your data. However, you will need to use an acceptable date format and 2008 will probably not be acceptable.[/i]

Hope this helps,
Al
A member of the i-Tree Team
vilofcal

Re: New User & Questions On Setup

Post by vilofcal » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:30 am

Hello,

5 years have now passed. Has I-Tree been modified yet in any way to allow for progressive maintenance reporting? Until I find a program that will allow me a single place to store the inventory and allow the issuance of work orders for maintenance, I will delay scheduling an inventory update. If not I-Tree, then do you have any suggestions?
Lisa
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Post by azelaya » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:33 pm

Hello Lisa,

There has not been any significant changes in the limited maintenance reporting in i-Tree Streets or integration of work order generation since my reply in 2009.

I would suggest consulting some of the online comparisons of other available tree and asset management software. A Comparative Study of Tree Management Software is a European Study but includes several U.S. software systems. It also mentions i-Tree and OpenTreeMap. http://goo.gl/pyrCiU

The University of Florida has an older 2009 comparison of inventory and asset management tools at the following link http://ufdc.ufl.edu/IR00003521/00001 . This comparison may not have information on more newer systems and some may no longer be available.

Lastly, I would suggest contacting your State Urban and Community Forestry Coordinator as they can put you in touch with other communities in your area to learn what tree inventory and management systems they may be using. Here is a list of UF Coordinators on the US Forest Service website http://www.fs.fed.us/ucf/contact_state.shtml
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Post by Jason.Henning » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:49 am

Also, in a timely development, the US Forest Service just put out this updated list of commercial tree inventory software.

Attached or available directly from this link http://www.na.fs.fed.us/urban/inforesou ... 202014.pdf.

-Jason
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.