ozone and CO forming potential

If you have questions, comments, and suggestions specific to one or more of the components of the i-Tree Software Suite, this is the place for them! Again, please check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include UFORE, STRATUM, and the utilities such as MCTI or Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

Aus_UFORE_user

Post by Aus_UFORE_user »

Does the latest version fo UFORE/ECO calculate the ozone and CO forming potential of trees (based on their BVOC emissions)?
The methods are described in earlier UFORE methods papers but one I read (Nowak et al (2008) A Ground-Based Method of Assessing Urban Forest Structure and Ecosystem Services) has no mention of O3 and CO formation from BVOC emissions and there is no option when configuring the standard UFORE output that refers to formation potentials.
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Post by azelaya »

There has been no change in how Eco/UFORE calculates ozone & CO formation in the latest version. I looked at the papers that you mentioned and see that the original UFORE methods paper mentions CO and ozone forming potential of trees is computed whereas the more recent paper does not discuss this. However, there was never a specific output provided with detailed CO & ozone forming potential of trees. Although the model calculates hourly reductions, the results are provided in a monthly pollutant removal format which is why this is not an option that can be configured during project set up.

Let us know if having hourly data is critical to your research project and we can see if Syracuse can provide the raw hourly data outputs.
A member of the i-Tree Team
Aus_UFORE_user

Post by Aus_UFORE_user »

No the hourly data isnt critical, it isnt a major part of my analysis, I was just curious as to how the results for that were presented/incorporated into the output.

Thanks