height crown base data entry problem

If you have questions, comments, and suggestions specific to one or more of the components of the i-Tree Software Suite, this is the place for them! Again, please check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include UFORE, STRATUM, and the utilities such as MCTI or Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

Aus_UFORE_user

Post by Aus_UFORE_user » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:31 pm

Hi,

I am entering paper form data for a UFORE analysis and have encountered a probelm when entering the height crown base.
The manual says record value of 0 for dead trees, I also have some trees where the crown begins at the base but when I put a value of zero into the box and go to save edits it says height crown base must be a number between 1-150...
what do I put for a) dead trees (-1?) and
b) trees where height crown base is below 1?
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Post by azelaya » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:24 pm

Hello,

I apologize for the delay in responding to your question. Yes, you are correct and you have identified conflicting directions with entering height-to-crown-base data for a dead tree as the manual does indicate to enter zero which then causes a data validation error to occur. Subsequently, the error dialog box says the value must be between 1-150. Please use -1 for the crown base and height to live top values in this case as the UFORE shell will accept these values.

As for the crown that is actually touching the ground or below 1, you will not be able to enter a value less than 1 due to restrictions with the form. I would suggest entering 1 and then compensate by adding proportionally to the height and live top heights for this particular tree. The canopy metrics are used to define canopy volume which is used in benefit calculations. This should compensate for the limitation of the form to input values less than 1.

Best regards,
Al
A member of the i-Tree Team
dorita234

Post by dorita234 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:02 am

me too, I need more detailed info
Data Entry