UFORE for forest inventory

If you have questions, comments, and suggestions specific to one or more of the components of the i-Tree Software Suite, this is the place for them! Again, please check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include UFORE, STRATUM, and the utilities such as MCTI or Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

student Jon

Post by student Jon »

I'm using UFORE to make calculations for a forested stand, where only tree data was collected (no ground cover info). I'm running into issues with required values (such as plot tree cover, plantable space, %Duff/Mulch, bulding distances etc.) Basically I don't have any info for the 'General Plot Info' tab, and can't save the plots without putting something in..

Has anyone else used UFORE for non-urban forests and if so how did you work around these (or any other issues)?

Thanks..
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Post by azelaya »

Yes, the current UFORE manual data entry form protocol is somewhat rigid and requires that certain data fields have values entered. I am not sure how you set up your project for the inventory as you could use multiple plots or you may be using one plot which is the size of your overall study area.

Regardless, the UFORE shell will require you to enter data such as ground cover, Land Use Reference objects & Address information in the General plot tab. Some ,of the information will not affect your outcomes. However, land use is used for calculating benefut information relative to a tree's growing environment. For example, a tree growing in a golf course would have different growth characteristics than one growing in a commercial area. So I would choose vacant which is indicative of a woodlot for your application.

You can choose a value for plantable space also which represents your situation. It may be 0 if it is a forested stand.

You will also need reference object info and address info which may not be relative to your application. These will not affect your results and are used for quality assurance checks. You do not need to enter any data for buildings or shrubs though and the shell should accept these void of values.

Hope this helps,
Al
A member of the i-Tree Team