carbon calculation

If you have questions, comments, and suggestions specific to one or more of the components of the i-Tree Software Suite, this is the place for them! Again, please check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include UFORE, STRATUM, and the utilities such as MCTI or Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

brockelbank

carbon calculation

Post by brockelbank »

Could you please explain or show me the formula for deriving CO2 stored. I am also wondering why is it reported in pounds and not metric tons when metric tons is used by the CCX and others.

Thanks
azelaya
i-Tree Team

carbon calculation

Post by azelaya »

Hello,

I'm not sure if you are interested in the carbon calculation methods for a specific application. So, I would suggest starting with looking over pages 8 & 9 of the UFORE methods paper http://www.itreetools.org/resource_lear ... ethods.pdf, which discusses the carbon calculations for this application. Remember, UFORE has different data requirements than STRATUM such as crown metrics and crown light exposure.

The STRATUM model is based on tree DBH and height with other biomass equations and conversions calculated to determine carbon storage values. The Appendix of each Community Tree Guide discusses the methods used in this model. The USFS Community Tree Guides can be accessed from the Resources - Archives page http://www.itreetools.org/resources/archives.php under the i-Tree Streets Reference City Tree Guides tab

As for not using metric tons as a reporting standard, both UFORE & STRATUM were conceived and developed for urban forestry applications. Both UFORE & STRATUM reports can be generated in either English or Metric values and converted manually to metric tons from kilograms or pounds. The possibility of urban forestry being viable in carbon trading markets is also a relatively new and evolving concept. So, timing may be the reason why "metric tons" was not used as the default.

Hope this helps.
Al
A member of the i-Tree Team