Where do the common names in the reports come from?

If you have questions, comments, and suggestions specific to one or more of the components of the i-Tree Software Suite, this is the place for them! Again, please check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include UFORE, STRATUM, and the utilities such as MCTI or Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

Jerry

Where do the common names in the reports come from?

Post by Jerry » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:39 am

I am working on a project in the Northeast climate zone, and have just started to run reports.

All crabapples are coded MA2 in the field data. According to the Northeast species list in the Manual, the common name for MA2 should be "Apple" (which already is a problem, IMHO, since the street tree has the universal common name "Crabapple"). I would expect that "Apple" would also be used in the reports, but instead the common name appears as "crabapple harvest gold." I looked around for the database from which this is being drawn, but couldn't find it.

Bottom line: is there a way to change the default common names shown in the reports? I apologize if I should know this already...

TIA.
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Changing common names in reports

Post by azelaya » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Jerry,

You can change the "default" common names shown in the reports by using the “Define Species” option which can be found under the “Input” tab in STRATUM. Once your project is active in STRATUM, the “Input” tab will be active. You can then select the “Define Species” option. Highlight the species code found in the Inventory Species Code List and make any desired name changes in the upper left hand box. Hit “Apply” and refresh the reports. The changes should be made.

FYI- I tried to make changes in the tables to see if that would make subsequent changes in the reports but I didn’t have any luck with that method. Al
A member of the i-Tree Team
Jerry

Post by Jerry » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:35 pm

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

EDIT: well, when I follow that and highlight MA2, it showed "Apple" in the upper left box for common name--not "Crabapple harvest gold." Then I changed it and clicked Apply, it seemed to stick. When I exit and then re-enter the Define Species dialogue box it now shows "Crabapple" as the common name for MA2. But the species distribution report still shows "Crabapple harvest gold," even after refreshing.

I see that I have a similar problem for the code PI2, which comes up in the reports as "Pitch pine" instead of the "Pinus species" listed in the Northeast codes list or the "Pine" that is its common name in the dialogue box.

:?: :!:
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Post by azelaya » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:50 am

Jerry,

The change should be made universally throughout the report for that species. However, if you exit out of the STRATUM project without saving the project and then re-enter, the species name would be as it appeared originally.

I tried testing this several times and the species changes I made were made on all the reports regardless of where in the report I made the change. Please also try saving the project after you make your species change and see if that makes a difference in the reports generated.

I will have to do some more investigating to find out why the MA2 & PI2 codes are generating species that differ from the Northeast table.
Al
Jerry

Post by Jerry » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:58 pm

Excuse me for asking, Al, but did you test this yourself? If yes, then something weird is going on here that makes no sense to me.

Your suggestion makes no difference here (standard installation of STRATUM 3.3 from i-Tree 2.0 CD) whatsoever. Species distribution report still shows "Crabapple harvest gold" after changing, saving exiting, reloading.

Could the report module be hard coded somewhere by accident?
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Post by azelaya » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:11 pm

Yes, I did test this myself using data within STRATUM v3.3. I will have to check with the programmers to see if there may be something in the coding that is causing this issue. It does seem strange that it is not making a difference on your reports. I'll get back to you tomorrow.
Jerry

Post by Jerry » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:20 pm

Thanks. I am going to try an installation in a different environment to see if it makes any difference.

Mighty strange...

EDIT: OK, same old, same old. Previously, I have been using STRATUM on a Windows 2000 platform within a virtual machine on a Linux OS computer, but I get the same results if I use a Windows XP in its own partition on another computer. I open up the species dialog box, MA2 is correctly associated with the common name "Crabapple," but the same "Crabapple harvest gold" shows up in the species distribution report.

When you tried this, were you using the Northeast climate zone?
Jerry

Another thought

Post by Jerry » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:13 am

I did not do the data collection for this project, and had to clean up a lot of things before I could start. One of the crabapple entries had MA12 which I corrected to MA2 using the Input --> Define Inventory --> Records tool. It is possible that I did that after running the species report the first time and seeing the common name, though I am not actually sure at this point. (It is also possible that I corrected the same error for PI12, though again I can no longer remember.)

Without really knowing what I am actually talking about, I wonder if MA12 is actually the code somewhere (not in the Plants database though) for "Crabapple harvest gold" and that for some reason it is still being used by the report module even after the change.
smaco
i-Tree Team

species distribution error

Post by smaco » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:11 am

Hi Guys,
Something is not right with the NE species distribution reports. The Species Value Assignment name changes seem to hold for population summary reports and others, but not for the species distribution report, specifically. Though the distribution seems correct, the species names are displayed as a combination of codes and common names when I test with various inventories.

We'll take a look and try to get a fix. In the meantime, you can export to Excel and make the changes there if you need it for a report. --Scott
a member of the i-Tree Team
Jerry

Post by Jerry » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:22 am

Thanks, Scott, I feel better now...
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Changing common names in STRATUM reports

Post by azelaya » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:22 pm

Follow-up information on issue:

The problem was identified after reviewing the user’s files associated with the STRATUM project. There were (2) codes being used to identify one species in the inventory.

MA2-apple and MAHA-crabapple golden harvest were both used in the inventory to identify common crabapple trees. Therefore, when changes were made to MA2 only in the report using the “Define Species” dialog option, the change was only evident for trees coded as MA2-apple. Since, MA2 was only a minor component in the inventory (2 trees); it would not always be listed as an individual species in all the reports and would be lumped in under “BDS_other” in reports such as the distribution report.

Conversely, crabapple golden harvests MAHA was more abundant in this inventory and was listed individually in all reports causing the confusion despite making changes to MA2. Consequently, changes would need to be made to both MA2 and MAHA to rename them both “crabapple” in the reports as desired.

This problem was identified in the STRATUM_inventory table which can be found in the .mdb Access database file “[YourProjectName].mdb” associated with the STRATUM project. Changes to differing SpCodes could also be made in this table to correct species discrepancies in the reports.

For future reference, the common names are “hard coded” data which is stored in a file “[YourProjectName]SpList.xml. However, users should use the “Define Species” dialog option to make changes as desired to the species names.

Also, there were no problems identified with th NE species list or distribution reports. Problems encounterd in testing were due to changes made in climate zones.

Al