Define Species error

If you have questions, comments, and suggestions specific to one or more of the components of the i-Tree Software Suite, this is the place for them! Again, please check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include UFORE, STRATUM, and the utilities such as MCTI or Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

Rennaker

Define Species error

Post by Rennaker »

Everytime I load my data into a new project I get the Unmatched Species code error then I get this window for defining them. But there are no species in this window to correct? I am using a sample set of my data and all of them have a SpCode. How does this Define Species work? ThanksImage
rgthurau

Post by rgthurau »

I'm certainly no expert, but I'm screwing around with the "define species" interface right now. Looks like you have at least one record in your inventory with a species code of "1". This code should be something like "ACSA1" for sugar maple. Somewhere in the inventory, someone chose to manually enter a species code and typed in a 1.
I think you can click the "Non Tree" button and call "1" a non tree which will mean that code is excluded from the STRATUM analysis.

RT
smaco
i-Tree Team

Post by smaco »

Thanks for the post, RT, I think your assessment is right on: there is a species code entered as "1". --Scott
a member of the i-Tree Team
Rennaker

Post by Rennaker »

Thanks smaco and rgthurau, I'll try that. Does that mean that what ever species has the "1" in the code will not be counted as the species? Should I go in the database and rename all of the species with the "other..Broadleaf Deciduous Mature" for example? Or just Non-Tree.
C
rgthurau

Post by rgthurau »

If you have some other way to identify what tree species each record is (i.e. comments section), then you could go into the database and change the "1" to the appropriate tree. Marking them as "non-tree" will remove them from the STRATUM assessment (I believe).

My suggestion to make all the "1"s non-trees was based on an assumption I had that there were only a relatively few records/trees identified as "1". To get all the information from the inventory as possible, it'd be best to go in and change these to the appropriate species code.
Rennaker

Post by Rennaker »

I have a lot of ornamentals that have codes like:
CONU2, CEOC3 etc. It won't be difficult to adjust
them but I may have duplicates and have to omit
some species if I remove the numbers from them.
Also, Some species I have are not in the STRATUM pdf species
list.

Thanks for the help!
azelaya
i-Tree Team

RE:define species error

Post by azelaya »

Just to add a thought to the discussion; the tree species that you have in your inventory which aren't on the list of available species can be added and assigned a species value to a similar/allied tree.

Also, depending on the region you used, CONU2 and CEOC3 may have value assignments available in STRATUM. Appendix D has values listed for these trees in regions such as Pacific Northwes and inland valleys which you can use as a cross reference.

If you have not had a chance, please take a look at page 37 of the i-tree manual which has a decent explanation of the process used for adding species. The first screen shot you originally submitted is part of this procedure. Hope this helps......Al
A member of the i-Tree Team
Rennaker

Post by Rennaker »

I'm still stumped. I've changed all of the species to match the SpCode in the .PDF for the Inland Valley area. Now, I get the same "Define Species"
window for unmatched species with thousands of Unmatched Species? How does the SpCode work if I'm using the code they provide why should I have to go in and match them again?
jstratton

Post by jstratton »

Another thing you may want to verify is the order of columns in the Microsoft Access database that you are importing the data from. SpCode needs to be the 5th column of the table, because STRATUM knows to find the SpCode information as the fifth index in the "stratum_inventory" table. It is not enough to have it be in the fifth column of the "table view", it needs to be in the fifth column on the table design itself. You can open the table in table design, and re-order the columns appropriately.

Also realize that this means that you must have all STRATUM related columns as defined by the user-manual in the table, otherwise, it'll give trouble when you go to run a report on a different field. Even if you don't have "otherone", "othertwo", or "otherthree" - I believe they must be in the table and set to "0's"
azelaya
i-Tree Team

spieces code error

Post by azelaya »

For those who have followed this string and offered advice, the problem turned out to be a step that was needed during configuration of the tree species list in the STRATUM/MCTI PDA application. A step was missed to "Create File for PDA's" which sends the revised list to the PDA. The problem was identified over the phone. Thanks to all for helping! Al
A member of the i-Tree Team