Coastal and inland Valley is to small and diverse a region

If you have questions, comments, and suggestions specific to one or more of the components of the i-Tree Software Suite, this is the place for them! Again, please check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include UFORE, STRATUM, and the utilities such as MCTI or Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

rfotu

Coastal and inland Valley is to small and diverse a region

Post by rfotu »

Hi,

Our city is located on the boundary between coastal and inland valley. This is making it extremely difficult to provide accurate results in my inventory. No matter what climate region I use, I have 50-60 un-named species. At least if I had the entire west as an option, I beleive I would yield better results.

I use this analysis to find BVOC emissions, air pollution benefits, tree canopy cover, and carbon sequestration. With 50-60 trees missing, I can't tell which trees are better or not.

I would rather have a best guess than having no inforamtion at all.

Please email me with a response, as I don't check this forum often.
smaco
i-Tree Team

Post by smaco »

For any inventory, you can expect to have unmatched species when using STRATUM. The included species lists are intended to capture the predominant species, but not be exhaustive in nature. As a STRATUM user, it is your responsibility to define unmatched species using the “Define Species” dialogue (see section 2.4.2 of the User’s Manual). If this operation is ignored, and species codes are left unmatched, they will not be included in reports as you have noted. However, every species code that is defined in this dialogue will be included in the reports and provide you with the information you are looking for.

I hope this helps.
a member of the i-Tree Team
rfotu

Post by rfotu »

Yeah...I get that I am responsible to fill in the unmatched species, but if that species is not offered in the climate zone, then I have to choose BES Other or PEL Other, and that is where I can no longer tell which trees are better than others.

Having 50-60 unmatched species is really too much and unacceptable. It made my work seem not as worthy as it could have been. I don't understand why itree cannot combine climate zones in california to reduce this problem.

I have trouble recommending this software to other cities when an issue such as combining climate zones cannot be incorporated for ease of use.

I would be happy to send my inventory...that not only took me long to manipulate the data to be used by itree, but took an extra day trying to match species.
rfotu

Post by rfotu »

For the record, I did match those unmatched species to BES BEM PES OTHER.

That is 60 trees lumped into one category for all reports as "other street tree"....not very reflective of how each tree is doing.
smaco
i-Tree Team

Post by smaco »

The idea behind the Species Value Assignment is not to find exact matches. Rather, you are instructed to select the species from the list that most closely reflects the mature size, tree type, form, and family and genus relationships of the unmatched species code. For each climate zone, there are typically 22-25 species choices available for this “matching” purpose. As a last resort, where no allied species can be determined, one of the 12 general tree types may be selected as a match.

The name of the inventoried species will be reported exactly as the user defines it, not by the Species Value Assignment, where actual species are selected. That being said, you will get more accurate results by taking the time to match your unmatched codes with actual species, rather than the 12 general tree type options.
a member of the i-Tree Team