SDAP Brush Removal Cost Conversions

If you have questions, comments, and suggestions specific to one or more of the components of the i-Tree Software Suite, this is the place for them! Again, please check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include UFORE, STRATUM, and the utilities such as MCTI or Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

ajmcforester

SDAP Brush Removal Cost Conversions

Post by ajmcforester »

I have a municipality that uses tons instead of volume in brush removal. Does any one have a good average conversion for mass to volume for brush?

I know that volume and mass varies in relation by tree species, diameter of material, density of brush . . . , I just need something that would work for SDAP.
Jerry

Interesting

Post by Jerry »

We are just looking into this same question for a project in Florida involving hurricane debris. If you Google "debris tons cubic yards," you will get a good idea of what people are using.

Many agencies seem to be following this conversion rate for vegetative debris:

CY = Tons * 4

and this one for C&D debris:

CY = Tons * 2

But there are other conversions being used. Hope this helps.
Last edited by Jerry on Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajmcforester

Post by ajmcforester »

Thank you for the answer, please keep us up to date on this. I think a national average will need to be made so that communities don't get hit with the problem of using the wrong conversion. :idea: I think that I will use ton*3 and take the middle ground.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I'm glad that was helpful. There are a couple of important things to remember here:
  • SDAP is about estimates, not measurements
  • I know good volume estimates can be made by sight, but am not sure about weight (can a pile just "look like" five tons to someone?)
  • Hurricanes and tornadoes have a substantial C&D component, ice storms have essentially none, so taking the average may not work very well
Kind of interesting, actually...
smaco
i-Tree Team

Post by smaco »

Just in case I'm not the only one that was wondering: C&D = construction & demolition, right?

Good contibutions to the forum, guys, thanks for posting. --Scott
a member of the i-Tree Team
Jerry

Thanks for clarifying

Post by Jerry »

Yup, probably should have spelled that out, though it is discussed in the opening section (3.3.1) of the User's Manual. Debris is broken down typically into two categories: vegetative and "C&D," and the two are usually priced differently because of the separate disposal mechanisms. All this stuff is spelled out officially in FEMA's Debris Management Guide.

We are finding a third category in the Florida hurricanes of "white goods," meaning refrigerators, stoves and the like. No idea yet how that is being handled.