stormwater runoff report

If you have questions, comments, and suggestions specific to one or more of the components of the i-Tree Software Suite, this is the place for them! Again, please check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include UFORE, STRATUM, and the utilities such as MCTI or Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

brockelbank

stormwater runoff report

Post by brockelbank »

Could you please explain to me what the $amount stands for on the report. Is it the amount of money the city will save for construction to contain storm water or entirely something else. And how is the default set up to be used for the calculation.
smaco
i-Tree Team

Post by smaco »

The dollar value for stormwater interception is different for each climate zone in STRATUM. The origination of these values are chronicled in the Tree Guides. Each STRATUM climate zone is represented by a specific Tree Guide, which describe the underlying research methods and tree growth models used to develop benefit valuations of street trees within the STRATUM application. The USFS Community Tree Guides can be accessed from the Resources - Archives page http://www.itreetools.org/resources/archives.php under the i-Tree Streets Reference City Tree Guides tab

--Scott
a member of the i-Tree Team
brockelbank

stormwater calculations

Post by brockelbank »

The tree guide explains the benefits of trees in relation to stormwater collection, and mentions a dollar amount for these benefits. But it does not explain what that dollar amount is related too. Can you please explain what the dollar amount represents? Thanks
smaco
i-Tree Team

Post by smaco »

Below is an excerpt from the Northern Mountain & Prairie Tree Guide (Appendix B, pp. 82-3):

"To estimate the value of rainfall intercepted by urban trees, stormwater management control costs were based on construction and operation costs for a recently built detention/retention basin in Fort Collins, CO. The drainage area was 660 acres (267 ha). The basin was designed to hold 17.2 acre feet (21,216 m3) of runoff and cost $1.04 million to construct (McBride 2002). With operating and maintenance costs of $700/month for 20 years, the total project costs were $1.21 million. Assuming that the basin filled once annually for 20 years, the control cost was $0.0108/gal ($0.000041/m3)."

The methodology will differ by climate zone, so be sure to check the Tree Guide for your area.
a member of the i-Tree Team