SDAP Post Data Collection to PDA

If you have questions, comments, and suggestions specific to one or more of the components of the i-Tree Software Suite, this is the place for them! Again, please check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include UFORE, STRATUM, and the utilities such as MCTI or Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

ajmcforester

SDAP Post Data Collection to PDA

Post by ajmcforester »

I am work with a municipality to establish a SDAP database. The pre-storm data was collected on a PDA that the city will not have access to since the PDA is owned by the State. I have transferred the data and created the excel spreadsheet.

I want to set the PDA to do a Post-Storm assessment so I followed the post-storm directions. I noticed the sample tigerdata was transferred to the PDA, but I didn't get any of the plots made from the survey. So I made a plot and entered the post-storm data, saved and created the plot. Then I connected the PDA and downloaded the data according to the instructions for post data collection and ended up lousing the pre-storm data.

I tried the steps several times and get the same results, I also tried doing it different ways and getting the same results.

What am I doing wrong?

Do I need to remake the pre-storm data plots by hand again in the PDA, and then I can enter the post-storm data? This seems a little redundant if that is the case.
Jerry

Is this what you meant?

Post by Jerry »

When you do post-storm, you will be using the sample plots but not the pre-storm data, since that has nothing to do with what is on the ground. Its information about tree density, however, was loaded into the worksheet to be used in the post-storm analysis (you will see the cell A14 read "Sample Data" instead of "National Data").

If you have set up the project correctly, then, when you go out for the post-storm data collection you should be able to open up the PDA and see your sample plots but no field data from the pre-storm collection.

Hope this helps.
ajmcforester

Post by ajmcforester »

OK so why is it when I download the Post data the prestorm data is lost?
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Lost from the PDA or the spreadsheet?
ajmcforester

Post by ajmcforester »

Spreadsheet
Jerry

Not good

Post by Jerry »

Well, if that's happening, that's not right.

I am going to try to pass this to the programmer to check out.
jstratton

Post by jstratton »

SDAP's Interface program serves as a data repository for any data that has been collected on the Pocket PC. My guess is, the Pre-Storm data is no longer located in the interface program (either via a reset or working with a different interface installed on a different computer). This means that when you go to export the excel spreadsheet, there is nothing to export, so the pre-storm data tallies come up empty.

The easiest work around is to open the old spreadsheet, and copy/paste the pre-storm data into the new spreadsheet that is created with the post data.

Please understand, that when you export data to a new sheet, you are not appending data to an existing sheet, you are actually re-creating a new sheet. This is because there is much difficulty in appending data to an existing sheet (and therefore being careful of not overwriting entries, or duplicating entries).

If the pre-storm data is still on the Pocket PC, but is not synchronizing back to the database, then it will be difficult to get that information off, because it is completely built on being transferred via activesync - once those relationships become broken, they are extremely difficult to restore - this is a significant limitation of Microsoft's ActiveSync, and is a big reason for the migration to other data transfer technologies for the other Pocket PC applications in i-Tree.
ajmcforester

Post by ajmcforester »

In other wards make a new speadsheet and cut and pasted the data together between the two speadsheats correct?
jstratton

Post by jstratton »

ajmcforester wrote:In other wards make a new speadsheet and cut and pasted the data together between the two speadsheats correct?
Yes, that is correct.