Importing data in STRATUM

If you have questions, comments, and suggestions specific to one or more of the components of the i-Tree Software Suite, this is the place for them! Again, please check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include UFORE, STRATUM, and the utilities such as MCTI or Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

gmbarreiro

Importing data in STRATUM

Post by gmbarreiro » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:55 am

When I try to create a new STRATUM project, when importing the data table, I receive this message

"An unhandled exception has occurred in your application.
Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Can anyone, please!!! tell me what to do...
Thanks!
Graciela
i-Tree Support
i-Tree Team

Post by i-Tree Support » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:49 pm

Hi Graciela,
Unfortunately we are going to need more information before we can help troubleshoot the error message you are receiving. Please document the process you used for formatting and importing the inventory. Was this an inventory created with the i-Tree PDA utility or was it an existing inventory formatted for STRATUM? Is it a sample or full inventory? Did you use default STRATUM fields or custom? Etc.

Alternatively, you can call us to discuss at 1-877-574-8733. Support hours are Monday through Friday 8am to 4:30pm eastern standard time
a member of the i-Tree Team
gmbarreiro

Post by gmbarreiro » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:08 pm

Hi, thanks for your answer
I´m just trying the system. So, I made my own inventory, handmade (not PDA) and tried to follow all the instructions you give in the user`s manual.
My mdb file only has a dozen of trees. I need to make a trial before using it in my thesis reserch for the master degree in environmental management...
So, I used default fields...
I´m sorry I can´t be in the phone...I´m too far away. My reserch place is Buenos Aires city. But this communication way will be very useful for me.
Thanks again!
Graciela

i-Tree Support wrote:Hi Graciela,
Unfortunately we are going to need more information before we can help troubleshoot the error message you are receiving. Please document the process you used for formatting and importing the inventory. Was this an inventory created with the i-Tree PDA utility or was it an existing inventory formatted for STRATUM? Is it a sample or full inventory? Did you use default STRATUM fields or custom? Etc.

Alternatively, you can call us to discuss at 1-877-574-8733. Support hours are Monday through Friday 8am to 4:30pm eastern standard time
smaco
i-Tree Team

Post by smaco » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:24 am

Without better understanding how you setup your project, trouble shooting the error message will be difficult. At this point, maybe it would be easiest if you to attached the database you are trying to import and tell us if it is setup as a sample inventory or full inventory, and which climate zone you are using. Thanks.
gmbarreiro

Post by gmbarreiro » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:25 pm

Sorry, but I can´t find the way to send the attachement. Could you give me a regular e-mail address for sending it? Thanks!
Graciela

PS: Your help is very neccesary for me a this time. Without it, I can´t go on with my work.
i-Tree Support
i-Tree Team

Post by i-Tree Support » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:22 am

Hi Graciela,

If you can please zipfile your database and e-mail this file to me at info@itreetools.org.

Thanks

Jason
i-Tree Support
i-Tree Team

Post by i-Tree Support » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:14 am

Hi Graciela,

I sent you an e-mail with a new Access file that I created with your tree inventory. I also sent an explanation of what I saw as the reason for you receiving the error message. You should be fine now but if you have any questions please feel free to let us know.

Thanks

Jason
i-Tree Support
i-Tree Team

Post by i-Tree Support » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:18 am

Hello everyone in the i-Tree forum community. Here is my explanation that I sent to Graciela for the problem she was facing.

In the process of converting the Excel spreadsheet with her inventory to an Access file I noticed one thing in her file. In the manual on page 137 in Appendix D step 2 line 7 “Verify that field names and records follow the formatting conventions described above; if not, field names can be renamed here and data fields that are not one of STRATUM’s 17 defined fields can be excluded by checking the Do not import field (skip) box. For the category TreeId, under Indexed, choose Yes (no duplicates). All other fields should be left with the default Indexed choice of No, when data field verification is complete, click Next."

Make sure that all the other fields have an indexed choice of no, the SPcode did not so I changed that and fixed it for you.

I would also suggest to everyone please update your programs by downloading all of our updates at http://www.itreetools.org/whats_new/index.shtm

Thanks

Jason
gmbarreiro

Post by gmbarreiro » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:27 pm

Jason

Even with your good advice, I wasn`t able to run the STRATUM (using the file you changed or doing it again, I still receive the same message from my PC)
The messages I´ve been receiving are two: Object reference not set to an instance of un object and Input string is incorrect (or something like that)

The details my PC gives to me follow: THANKS!

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Stratum.CStratumVar.RestStratumVar()
at Stratum.NewProject.BtnFinish_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 1.0.5000.0
Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.2407
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Stratum
Assembly Version: 1.0.2684.25164
Win32 Version: 1.0.2684.25164
CodeBase: file:///C:/Archivos%20de%20programa/i-Tree/STRATUM/Stratum.exe
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.2032
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.dll
System
Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.2407
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.drawing/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.drawing.dll
CrystalDecisions.Shared
Assembly Version: 9.1.5000.0
Win32 Version: 9.1.9800.5
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/crystaldecisions.shared/9.1.5000.0__692fbea5521e1304/crystaldecisions.shared.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 7.0.5000.0
Win32 Version: 7.10.6001.4
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/microsoft.visualbasic/7.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/microsoft.visualbasic.dll
CrystalDecisions.Windows.Forms
Assembly Version: 9.1.5000.0
Win32 Version: 9.1.9800.10
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/crystaldecisions.windows.forms/9.1.5000.0__692fbea5521e1304/crystaldecisions.windows.forms.dll
System.Data
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.data/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.data.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.xml/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.xml.dll
Interop.MSXML2
Assembly Version: 3.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 3.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Archivos%20de%20programa/i-Tree/STRATUM/Interop.MSXML2.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just in time (JIT) debugging, the config file for this
application or machine (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the machine
rather than being handled by this dialog.
i-Tree Support
i-Tree Team

Post by i-Tree Support » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:22 am

Hi Graciela,

I just need to confirm if your version of STRATUM is 3.2.3? To check this, please open up your STRATUM program. On the top of the screen there is a section labeled help. Click on help, a little drop down list will pop up and then click about. A window will again pop up; on the lower right hand corner you should see a Version number and a Build number. The latest version number should be 3.2 and build 3. Could you please confirm this for us?

Thank you

Jason
gmbarreiro

Post by gmbarreiro » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:35 pm

Hi Jason

Yes, I do have the 3.2 version of STRATUM. Today, I downloaded again all the updates given in the i-tree tools website, following (very carefully) the indications.

But my data file still doesn´t work when trying to import it to STRATUM.

In case I`m not able to run it by myself, is there any chance to send the data sheets to you and you run the program? I´d send them in excel format. In that way I´d be sure there are no mistakes from this side....

Thanks again for your interest... and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! from Argentina
Graciela
mhburgess

Error Message when creating a report/Project in STRATUM

Post by mhburgess » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:14 pm

Hello, I get a similar message but mine says:

Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.

In reading Jason's posts to fixing this problem I am thinking it is because my Street Segments have a decimal point in them. I am really just confirming that this would be the case. All other categories look good.

mhb
azelaya
i-Tree Team

STRATUM error message

Post by azelaya » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:25 am

Yes, you are correct about your Street Segments as they must be positive integers. Let us know if you are still having problems after adjusting the values. Al
A member of the i-Tree Team
Patterson

Post by Patterson » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:02 am

Hi friend, I was also looking for an information realated to that. This thread helped me alot. Thanks for sharing.

Click4carbon