SDA for hurricanes

If you have questions, comments, and suggestions specific to one or more of the components of the i-Tree Software Suite, this is the place for them! Again, please check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include UFORE, STRATUM, and the utilities such as MCTI or Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

sheryle

SDA for hurricanes

Post by sheryle »

I understand the this was created based on ice storms and the accuracy for other storms ie hurricanes has not been tested. At this point there is no other protocol for FEMA reporting. Would it be accurate to say that if a city collected the SDA data FEMA would accept it for a hurricane? If not what would have to be done to make it acceptable.
StormyJerry

Post by StormyJerry »

Hi Sheryle --

You can get a quick and accurate estimate of actual damage and debris produced by hurricanes by using SDA as long as you use actual cubic yards to measure debris so that "C & D" debris is picked up. The only open question is whether the sampling recommendation would ever need to be adjusted up or down, and for that actual event data (sampling and actual) will be needed.

These reports don't go to FEMA, but to your state emergency officials, and our understanding is that they will accept such methodical estimates without problem.

Hope this helps.