STRATUM Underlying Calculations

If you have questions, comments, and suggestions specific to one or more of the components of the i-Tree Software Suite, this is the place for them! Again, please check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include UFORE, STRATUM, and the utilities such as MCTI or Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

steinhoff

STRATUM Underlying Calculations

Post by steinhoff »

Does anyone know where I can see how different input values feed into the benefit calculations in stratum? I know that the less data we have the less reports we will be able to generate accurately, but I can't tell exactly what fields we need for what reports.

For example, we have inventory data that was taken previously where we did not gather information on Land Use. I assume that these measures feed into the estimation of aesthetic value, so how far off will they be without that info? Does this also feed into energy savings? Are there assumptions built into the calculations that say a tree outside a commercial building saves X energy vs. Y for a residential building?

It would be very helpful to know the specifics of how the calculations are done, so that we can qualify the reports that we generate and not overstate the value of our urban forest.
i-Tree Support
i-Tree Team

Post by i-Tree Support »

Hi,
The methodology for STRATUM modeling is detailed in the Tree Guide for each specific climate zone. The USFS Community Tree Guides can be accessed from the Resources - Archives page http://www.itreetools.org/resources/archives.php under the i-Tree Streets Reference City Tree Guides tab

The general approach STRATUM uses to extend this information can be found in the JOA article here: http://www.fs.fed.us/psw/programs/cufr/ ... fr_128.pdf

Benefit-cost calculations are all modeled based on reference city data (see Tree Guides) and do not require data fields beyond species code and dbh. All other fields are used in the structural reports detailed in the manual (section 2.5).

If you have specific questions about specific data fields, we’d be glad to help.
a member of the i-Tree Team