Does UFORE calculate avoided power plant non-CO2 emissions?

If you have questions, comments, and suggestions specific to one or more of the components of the i-Tree Software Suite, this is the place for them! Again, please check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include UFORE, STRATUM, and the utilities such as MCTI or Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

jcregar

Does UFORE calculate avoided power plant non-CO2 emissions?

Post by jcregar »

I’m investigating CO2 mitigation strategies for an electric utility and stumbled across the i-Tree software suite. I’m impressed with the utility of your i-Tree suite of projects in calculating the benefits of urban forestry projects. I have one question re: the emissions calculations performed for UFORE. You explicitly state that the CO2 removal rate via sequestration and the CO2 avoided emissions from power plants in the list of calculations that UFORE can perform. However, I note that you only state that UFORE can report the pollution removal rate and associated air quality improvement for other regulated pollutants. To me, this implies that you do not consider the avoided power plant emissions of the other non-CO2 pollutants that are avoided through energy conservation via tree shading and evapotranspiration. Am I interpreting the model correctly, or does UFORE account for both the removal of regulated pollutants as well as those avoided from the plant?
woNka
i-Tree Team

Post by woNka »

The UFORE model currently estimates changes in CO2 emissions from power plants, it does not include non-CO2 power plant emissions. The model estimates removal of CO2 and non-CO2 pollutants by trees, but only changes in CO2 emissions from power plants.
a member of the i-Tree Team