Estimating man-hours for pre-storm SDAP

If you have questions, comments, and suggestions specific to one or more of the components of the i-Tree Software Suite, this is the place for them! Again, please check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include UFORE, STRATUM, and the utilities such as MCTI or Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

urban forestry planner

Estimating man-hours for pre-storm SDAP

Post by urban forestry planner »

I'm trying to estimate how many man hours it will take my city (Roanoke, Virginia) to do the pre-storm Storm Damage Assessment Protocol. We have 546 miles of roads/streets and 6058 segments. We want to do a 3% sample, which is 182 segments. Do you know anyone who could help us estimate man hours?

Thank you
StormyJerry

Why so many?

Post by StormyJerry »

Unless you are trying to use your random sample for some additional purpose, you probably should drop the number to a level that is reasonable for a post-storm emergency context.

This is the sampling recommendation from the revised Manual that is accompanying the mid-cycle update that is just about to be released: "Recommended sample size: 2% of blocksides (minimum 10) up to a maximum of 30."

The average length of a sample is typically around 0.1 mile, so we calculate a rate of 4-8 segments per hour, depending very much on the severity of the storm and the number and distribution of assessors.

Hope this helps