Edting Species List

If you have questions, comments, and suggestions specific to one or more of the components of the i-Tree Software Suite, this is the place for them! Again, please check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include UFORE, STRATUM, and the utilities such as MCTI or Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

dtirinato

Edting Species List

Post by dtirinato » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:30 am

I am going to be conducting a tree inventory with iTree Streets. I am editing down the species list because it is over 200 species and cultivars.

Certain species will not let me delete them. An error message pops up saying the species code is required and can't be deleted. I am in the Northeast and it will not let me delete a palm tree species.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a solution, and if so, what is it?

Help! Thanks for reading!
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: Edting Species List

Post by Jason.Henning » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:10 pm

Unfortunately, there are certain species that are hard-coded into Streets and cannot be deleted. This is one of the limitations of the relatively simple models underlying i-Tree Streets. It needs to maintain species codes that will work for the "other" tree categories. For example Acer rubrum (species code -ACRU) is the representative tree for the Broadleaf Deciduous Medium Other category (species code - BDM) so you cannot delete ACRU because all the species that are mapped to BDM will then fail to calculate. In the case of palms there are categories like "Palm Evergreen Small Other" (species code "PES") that are mapped to individual palm species which in simlarly cannot be deleted. Part of this limitation is due to that fact that i-Tree Streets is intended to be a benefits estimation tool rather than a full featured inventory tool. You may want to consider using a more customizable data collection tool and then importing your data into i-Tree Streets. I have heard good things about Epicollect (http://www.epicollect.net/) although I haven't tried it myself. I believe you can upload a customized species list to that tool. Sorry for the inconvenience.
-Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team