STRATUM TreeID field

If you have questions, comments, and suggestions specific to one or more of the components of the i-Tree Software Suite, this is the place for them! Again, please check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include UFORE, STRATUM, and the utilities such as MCTI or Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

bshanaha

STRATUM TreeID field

Post by bshanaha » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:18 pm

Hello,

I'm using your product to help conduct a street tree full-inventory analysis for a non-profit watershed association. We are at the stage of formatting the data collected (in paper form) to be compatible with the STRATUM software. However, if you could help us to clear up some uncertainty, it would be very helpful.

During the street tree inventory, the following data was collected: street segment number, address number and tree number. Since, in this case, the 'tree number' is only a count of the street trees at a particular address, it is mostly between 1 and 10. Therefore, the tree number is not a unique number to identify the tree among those in the city.

The iTree Users Manual recommends that the TreeID data field be unique. In order to make a uniqe TreeID it would require combining the street segment number, the address number and the tree number. This would create a number of at least 10 digits. Do you anticipate that such a large number could cause a problem in STRATUM? Also, do you recommend a different approach?

A related question is about the StreetSeg data field. As mentioned above, we have collected a street segment number as part of the inventory. However, the iTree Users Manual indicates that the StreetSeg field should be '0' for full-inventories. There is some uncertainty on our part of why this is so.

If you could help us to ensure our proper use of this great software, we would certainly appreciate it!

Thanks very much!
smaco
i-Tree Team

Post by smaco » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:35 pm

Records for the TreeID field can be any size, unique integer as long as you are importing a database into STRATUM without having used the i-Tree PDA Utility to collect and format your data. In the latter case, the TreeID field size is a “Long Integer” which is defined in Access as any integer between -2,147,483,647 and 2,147,483,647.

Records for the StreetSeg data field are only used by STRATUM when computing results for sample inventories. If you are importing a complete inventory, StreetSeg data are not used for computations or reporting and can be excluded form the inventory by entering 0 (zero) for each record. However, if you have these data, and you want to keep your database intact, it will not interfere with STRATUM operations to include these records.

Good luck with your project and please share your results!
a member of the i-Tree Team