Entering dead tree values not possible

If you have questions, comments, and suggestions specific to one or more of the components of the i-Tree Software Suite, this is the place for them! Again, please check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include UFORE, STRATUM, and the utilities such as MCTI or Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

Baobab

Entering dead tree values not possible

Post by Baobab » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:59 pm

Good evening,

I am sure that I am overlooking something very simple, but I would really appreciate any help.

I am currently entering data into the iTree eco 6 programme from a paper-based inventory. However, I cannot enter the values that are given in the manual as the default ones to be entered for dead trees. I cannot enter negative numbers nor does CLE has the -1 option.

Thank you very much for your help.
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: Entering dead tree values not possible

Post by Jason.Henning » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:52 am

Thank you for passing along this information. I have added this to our internal bug tracking system and our development team is looking into the issue. I will update this post when I have more details from them.
Thanks,
Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: Entering dead tree values not possible

Post by Jason.Henning » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:47 am

To enter a dead tree in the current version of i-Tree Eco v6 you should enter a crown condition percent of 0%. You will also need to enter a total height for that tree so that carbon storage can be estimated. All of the rest of the crown related fields can be left as is. That is, crown top height, crown base height, and crown width N/S and E/W can all be left blank. Crown % missing should automatically or manually be set to 100%. Crown light exposure should be left as "not entered". These parameters will result in the tree being listed with a condition of "dead" and the only ecosystem service benefit that tree will provide will be carbon storage.

We are looking into alternatives to this protocol to help streamline dead tree data entry. We will update the manuals in the future to better reflect the final dead tree protocol.
A member of the i-Tree Team