Vue TFW files

If you have questions, comments, and suggestions specific to one or more of the components of the i-Tree Software Suite, this is the place for them! Again, please check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include UFORE, STRATUM, and the utilities such as MCTI or Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

JohnLongsworth

Vue TFW files

Post by JohnLongsworth » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:28 pm

Hello there, I have an issue which may be due to my inexperience; i-Tree is very new to me.

When selecting the NLCD TIF file for Land Cover I consistently receive an error from Vue stating it's missing the accompanying TFW file. Every download from NLCD, either the 2001, 2006 or 2011 maps, I'm given no accompanying TFW file, just a TIF and about five XML/HTML files.

When I manually clip my NLCD geotiff in ArcGIS a TFW is created for me.

Am I missing something? Shouldn't I be able to download straight from NLCD, extract, insert tifs into Vue and run the service? The error I'm receiving states: "Vue has encountered a problem reading the imagery world files and cannot continue. TFW Files are critical as they tell Vue where the images are located geographically...."

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

-John
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: Vue TFW files

Post by Jason.Henning » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:56 am

Hi John,

Take a look at this forum post viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1176&hilit=tfw and see if it gets you past this hurdle.

Also, keep an eye out for our upcoming release of i-Tree Landscape. It will be a web-based application that will serve up NLCD data and eventually hi-resolution Urban Tree Canopy (UTC) data for estimating tree benefits. It won't require any data downloads and should have a number of features that i-Tree Vue does not.

If the work-around in the above post doesn't help please let me know. If you get stuck you can email your .tif files to info@itreetools.org and I can see about creating the .tfw files for you.

I think what has happened is that NLCD has moved to using a type of file that no longer requires that .tfw file because it is essentially embedding the same information in the .tif file. However, i-Tree Vue, is on its way to becoming legacy software as we release i-Tree Landscape so it won't be updated to make use of the new NLCD files. In the meantime we are happy to help folks get the necessary .tfw files so they can continue using i-Tree Vue.

Thanks for your question.
-Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team