New user from abroad: How to get started with tech support.

If you have questions, comments, and suggestions specific to one or more of the components of the i-Tree Software Suite, this is the place for them! Again, please check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include UFORE, STRATUM, and the utilities such as MCTI or Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

clsanguinetti

New user from abroad: How to get started with tech support.

Post by clsanguinetti » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:07 pm

I am a new user from abroad. I would like to know how is the feed back with the processing of the information once I have all the information.
How schedule are? Which data forms I have to complete? To whom I will refer once I have the information?

Thanks a lot,

clsanguinetti
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Re: New international user: Getting started with Eco

Post by azelaya » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:10 pm

Post updated on 12/30/2016 to consider i-Tree Database & Eco v6 integration

If you are considering or attempting to complete an international i-Tree Eco project for a city outside the U.S., Canada, Australia and the United Kingdom, you will now need to use the new i-Tree Database and the Eco application. The i-Tree Database is used to submit, check and integrate location, pollution and other information needed for new international locations. The Eco desktop application is used for project design and management activities including collecting, entering field data, submitting data for analysis, and viewing reports.

Key Points for International Users:

Manual processing for international projects is not available – In the past, i-Tree Eco projects in unsupported areas were processed manually by the U.S. Forest Service as a courtesy. Due to increases in demand, this option is no longer possible.

Data should be submitted in i-Tree Database as soon as possible – Working with i-Tree Database enables international users to enter the data necessary for running an Eco project in an unsupported area. This data should be entered as soon as possible – it will take time for the data to be validated and incorporated into a future version of Eco

Data will be validated before it is made available in the i-Tree Tools – The U.S. Forest Service will validate all data submitted through i-Tree Database. Invalid data will be returned to the sender for correction.

Validated data will be incorporated into a future version of Eco – Once validated, data submitted through i-Tree Database will be added to i-Tree’s databases. Periodic updates to the i-Tree software will make this new, validated data available in i-Tree Eco.

Eco updates containing new data allow for automatic processing – When data for an unsupported area is made available in i-Tree Eco, projects for that study area can be run and processed automatically just as projects in the U.S., Australia, Canada, and the UK are!

Below is a brief summary of basic recommended steps for international i-Tree Eco Users.
Consult the Eco Guide to International Projects for detailed instructions https://www.itreetools.org/resources/ma ... ojects.pdf

1 Design Your Project - Designing a new i-Tree Eco project requires some early decisions. You must determine what type of project is most suitable for your objectives and decide what data you will be collecting in the field or importing into Eco.

2 Prepare Additional Data and information - The Eco model will need data and information to make a new international location available including Locational data, hourly pollution data, supplemental hourly precipitation data, and new species data if desired. These data should be gathered and entered in the i-Tree Database http://www.itreetools.org/database/ as soon as possible and not after completing normal Eco field work.

3 Submit Additional Data using i-Tree Database – The i-Tree Database system has specific procedures and format requirements for data and information for a new international location. The i-Tree Database also allows users to view information such as available species. See

4 Prepare for Field Data Collection- Once you have designed your project, decided which data to collect during your inventory, and submitted your additional data into the i-Tree Database, it is time to get started with the i-Tree Eco software. Users can create a new i-Tree Eco project directly in the Eco application and prepare for data collection or importing data. Keep in mind, your international location will most likely not be available but you can use a temporary or alternate project location and later update it within Eco once available.

5 Collect Field Data - Field data collection can take place. Use the Eco Field Guide to guide you as you collect and record your data out in the field.

6 Enter Field Data - Field data can be entered into the i-Tree Eco desktop interface by transferring from the mobile data collection system, manually entering, or importing external data into an Eco complete inventory project.

7 Run the Eco Model - Running the Eco model is a two-step process that is necessary in order to view your reports. This should only be done after you have submitted your additional data using i-Tree Database, received notification that the data have been incorporated into Eco, updated your software to the latest version, and corrected any temporary, place holder variables (project location) you may have used.

Learning Resources

Additional resources can be found by exploring manuals, videos and application pages and instructions.
i-Tree Database Forum FAQs - viewforum.php?f=43
Eco manuals and guides - https://www.itreetools.org/resources/ma ... p#v6guides
Eco web pages - https://www.itreetools.org/eco/index.php
Eco learning videos - https://www.itreetools.org/resources/videos.php#ecovids
Eco methods papers - https://www.itreetools.org/resources/archives.php

Al

Re: New international user: Getting started with Eco

Post by clsanguinetti » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:17 pm

Thank you, Al.
In my hometown there are three stations for pollution data. My areas of study are spread all over the city because they are picked on land use criteria. Do I send the pollution data for the three stations or I have to pick one as the most representative?

Could I send you all pollution and weather data before sending you the urban forest information so I can earn some time?

Thank you,

csanguinetti
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: New user from abroad: How to get started with tech suppo

Post by Jason.Henning » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:06 pm

For each i-Tree Eco project we can only use pollution data from one monitoring station. If you would like to use different pollution data for different areas you will need to create a different i-Tree Eco project for each pollution data set with only the trees or plots you would like that data to apply to. For each project you would need to submit the information described in the process outlined by Al above.

Please submit pollution at the time the project data is ready to be submitted as we can't hold spots in the queue or credit for time based on partial data received.

Thanks,
Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team
nicoali

Post by nicoali » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:44 am

I'm interested to start an Eco-project for a city.

So i've to use only one station for pollution data? We have a lot of stations. Can be done an average of datas of all stations?
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Post by Jason.Henning » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:50 am

Yes it is reasonable to average multiple hourly pollution measurements from different stations. You will need to submit your averaged data using the format provided in the template, http://www.itreetools.org/database/Cont ... plate.xlsx. This will have the effect of smoothing out local and temporal variability in your pollutant inputs. We do something comparable with the pre-compiled data provided for the US, Canada, UK, and Australia.

Note: This post was updated January 2017 with new formatting required for i-Tree database integration. The pollution file for Munich is older and PM10 is no longer needed or included Ecov6 processing. However, the single worksheet is requiredfor database verification checking.
nicoali

Post by nicoali » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:31 pm

Yes my project will be for Napoli (South Italy).

Can you please link me the download page of the Desktop software that i've to use?
is i-Tree Eco v6 beta? or there is another software?
Can i import in it trees from shp files or csv?
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Post by Jason.Henning » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:52 am

To get the software you must register and log-in at our home page, http://www.itreetools.org, using the links near the upper right corner of that page. After registering and logging you can get to the download page by clicking on the "Get the tools" button also near the upper right corner of the page.
i-Tree Eco v6 will bill be the most appropriate for your project and you can import tree data in spreadsheet or csv file formats. At this time import from shapefiles is not supported. You must at a minimum supply DBH and species for each of your trees although you will get more accurate estimates if you are able to supply more of the recommended variables.
nicoali

Post by nicoali » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:59 am

Yes i've the scientific names of the trees in my inventory.
I've csv and my tree inventory is also on Opentreemap. So maybe i've also the code that you use for each scientific name of trees.

Regarding pollution datas i've datas in this format:

European code; Pollutant; Name of Station; Annual Average (µg/m3); Over the range; Daily average

or i've to submit datas for each day of the year?
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Post by Jason.Henning » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:12 pm

When importing an inventory into i-Tree v6 you should be able to use the scientific names. There is an opportunity during the import process to map any unmatched species or variable values onto those that i-Tree Eco uses.

You must submit hourly pollution data for each pollutant for each day of the calendar year. See the Eco International Guide https://www.itreetools.org/resources/ma ... ojects.pdf for pollutant requirements and this file for an example of updating worksheet formatting, http://www.itreetools.org/database/Cont ... plate.xlsx. Only data in this format will be accepted for processing in the new i-Tree Database.
Note - Daily averages will not work with the model it must be hourly values for every day of the year. Datasets with missing pollutants will be considered for integration depending on validation checking.

Similarly, precipitation data must be hourly as well and cover the same calendar year as the pollution data.

Note: This post was updated January 2017 with new formatting required for i-Tree database integration. The pollution file for Munich is older and PM10 is no longer needed or included in Ecov6 processing. However, the single worksheet is required for database verification checking & integration.
nicoali

Post by nicoali » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:44 pm

well average of hourly datas of every day maybe is the best solution.
I'll try and submit them :)
nicoali

Post by nicoali » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:42 am

for International Eco project the rules to follow (now) are the same of this topic or they are changed with the new "i-Tree Database"?

I cannot add a new location in i-Tree Database.

Thanks in advance
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Post by Jason.Henning » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:28 pm

Please use the i-Tree Database procedure to submit your data for use in i-Tree Eco.

Regarding the availability of newly added locations, they will not appear on the i-Tree Database website or within the i-Tree Eco software until your data has been vetted by the i-Tree team, incorporated in the database, and a new updated of the software suite has been released. We anticipate software update releases at least twice a year to incorporate newly submitted data.