What part of the tree to start distance and direction Energy

If you have questions, comments, and suggestions specific to one or more of the components of the i-Tree Software Suite, this is the place for them! Again, please check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include UFORE, STRATUM, and the utilities such as MCTI or Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

rgthurau

What part of the tree to start distance and direction Energy

Post by rgthurau » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:50 pm

When calculating energy benefits I am recording the distance and direction "from the tree to the nearest part of the building". Should this be the base of the tree or the edge of the canopy? These can be very different numbers.

And, for direction, I'm assuming North is 0/360, south 180 etc.?

Thanks

Rich
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: What part of the tree to start distance and direction En

Post by Jason.Henning » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:35 am

Hi Rich,

The distance you are measuring should be the shortest horizontal distance from the main stem of the tree to the building. You should not measure from the edge of the tree crown.

Your are also correct that you should be recording the azimuth of the line from the tree to the building. The azimuth is the clockwise angle from true north. Incidentally, the software will not allow you to enter an azimuth of 0 so you should use 360 for due north.

If you want to explore the methods that use those measurements take a look at these documents.
1. An overview of the UFORE methods that are the foundation for i-Tree, http://www.itreetools.org/eco/resources ... ethods.pdf.
2. A paper that includes the methods used to determine the impact of trees on energy,http://www.fs.fed.us/psw/publications/d ... tr-171.pdf.

Feel free to post any follow-up questions.

Thanks,
Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team