What are the Climate zones for Los Angeles County

If you have questions, comments, and suggestions specific to one or more of the components of the i-Tree Software Suite, this is the place for them! Again, please check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include UFORE, STRATUM, and the utilities such as MCTI or Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

leremita

Post by leremita » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:36 pm

I can't zoom in enough on the Climate Zone map (it gets too fuzzy) to decipher the zones for Los Angeles County. I'm assuming they are Southern California Coast, Inland Empire and Southwest Desert. Is that correct?

-Linda
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Post by azelaya » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:18 am

Since there are several climate zones available within Los Angeles County, I would refer to more specific information that is available in the Community Tree Guides for each of the zones you mentioned.

The USFS Tree Guides typically will provide a more detailed map and also a description of the area and climate characteristics such as the following excerpt from page 11 of the Southern California Coast Tree Guide:

The Coastal Southern California region’s climate is influenced by the ocean 85% or more of the time and extends from Santa Barbara south to the border with Mexico and from the coast to inland cities such as Camarillo, Hollywood, Anaheim, Mission Viejo, Fallbrook, and El Cajon (Figure 1). The region’s boundaries correspond with Sunset climate zones 22, 23, and 24 (Brenzel 1997). Occasionally, winter temperatures will drop to the low 20s° F (-4 to -7° C) in the cold-winter portions of this region (Sunset zone 22).

The information in the guides may help in determining which climate zone is most similar to a city in LA County. You can only select one climate zone for a project so if you are doing a larger study over several zones, you will have to decide which zone is most similar to your study area. This is a limitation of applying a regional model at the local scale.

The USFS Community Tree Guides can be accessed from the Resources - Archives page http://www.itreetools.org/resources/archives.php under the i-Tree Streets Reference City Tree Guides tab
A member of the i-Tree Team