Multi day imports overwriting existing date

If you have questions, comments, and suggestions specific to one or more of the components of the i-Tree Software Suite, this is the place for them! Again, please check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include UFORE, STRATUM, and the utilities such as MCTI or Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

Iris Hill Consulting

Post by Iris Hill Consulting » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:40 am

I am doing an inventory that will take me 7 days.

Any way to download daily info and start the next day with the PDA clean of previously entered data?

MY PDA seems to slow down as data file size increases
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Post by azelaya » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:49 am

Yes, most people typically will transfer completed field data from a PDA to their desktop frequently. You didn't mention if you are using i-Tree Streets or Eco PDA application. If you are using Streets, you can dock the PDA with a desktop daily and send new tree records into your desktop. Eco sample projects require that a plot be marked complete on the PDA to allow for transfer to a desktop. The Eco complete inventory option will also allow you to send field data to a desktop. The only limitation to frequent PDA data transfer is that you need to connect the device to the desktop which may not always be convenient.
A member of the i-Tree Team
Iris Hill Consulting

Post by Iris Hill Consulting » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:25 am

I tried and it appears that the older records are no longer there. Is there another step required to prevent it from overwriting the records. I am using streets.

Thanks
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Post by azelaya » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:32 pm

If you are using i-Tree Streets, you should be able to send the project configuration over without sending any existing tree records if you are not trying to update an inventory. Selecting "Add New Tree" on the PDA would then create new tree records, which could be sent to the desktop daily. New records would be added at the end of any existing tree records on the desktop.
Iris Hill Consulting

Post by Iris Hill Consulting » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:57 am

What I am saying is this did not happen.

My first day out I recorded 350 trees. Uploaded to my laptop and all data on the PDA was cleared. . The next day I did another 400 or so. I uploaded those and the first days work IS NOT THERE!

Luckily I backed up the first days work.

I need to know what is wrong with what I am doing OR What is wrong with the program.

Richard
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Post by azelaya » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:41 am

It sounds like you are possibly not saving the tree data on the desktop computer after it transfers over from the PDA. If needed, I can also set up a online meeting to watch the steps you are going through to see if I can identify the problem.

Let me know if you can test this to verify that these steps are being completed and records are still not being saved properly. Otherwise, the only other reason that I can think of is if you don't have access rights to save data in file folder on the computer.

Try verifying that records are transferred over to the desktop from the PDA by hitting Input- Records after data transfer. You should see records initially in this spreadsheet. The Tree ID numbers will be negative at this time as Streets holds these as negative numbers to accommodate data transfer from multiple devices. It is not overwriting existing records though and the Total records number at the bottom should indicate the total of existing and new records added.

Hit Okay at the bottom right of the Tree Inventory screen.

Select File - Save Project from the Streets main menu.

Close the Streets program on the desktop and Re-open your project. Select Input- Records again to verify that the new data is being saved and the newly added tree records should be moved to the end of existing records with subsequent positive Tree ID numbers.

I would then try to create another test record on the PDA and transfer over again to insure that the original record or records still exist after data transfer.

Again, It should add new records in temporarily as a negative in the Records screen. So, you may have 300 trees and your new 100 trees will be temporarily displayed as TreeID -1 though -100 in the Tree Inventory dialog box. Note - the bottom of the screen should say Total Records 400 though in this example.

It is important to hit OK and Save the project to update. Selecting OK on the Inventory dialog box and selecting File - Save Project from the main menu will then populate the new tree record after the existing inventory records.

Lastly, there is a document which is related to record saving when manually entering data in Streets but it works the same way for saving as described above. See this forum link which may help. http://forums.itreetools.org/viewtopic.php?t=675
Iris Hill Consulting

Thanks

Post by Iris Hill Consulting » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:03 am

I am not sure what I did originally and now it seems to be working. I exported the records I lost so I have them as a CSV file. I read that I need the Microsoft Access program to import these back in. Is this correct?

I do not have Access and would have to buy it.
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Post by azelaya » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:01 pm

Yes, the process to import records into an existing Streets project requires that you have your data in a Microsoft Access table as described in the Manual on page 25 and in the following Streets import guide http://www.itreetools.org/streets/resou ... treets.pdf . I will contact you directly about this also.