Generating benefit numbers for individual trees

Post here questions, comments, and suggestions about the general i-Tree project. To avoid duplication, please be sure to check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include background, purpose, requirements, hardware, installation, training and events.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

jefframsey

Generating benefit numbers for individual trees

Post by jefframsey » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:02 pm

I am trying to use collected street tree data complete with species, DBH, health, and address to come up with benefit numbers associated with specific trees, that I can then use in ArcGIS.

My hope is that I can import my data into i-Tree Streets, generate benefit analysis, then export my data complete with new fields for "stormwater benefits", "stored CO2 benefits" etc. in a format that I can then put back into Arc.

I have used i-Tree to get a report on benefits at a neighborhood level, but can't figure out how to get these numbers at a finer scale.

Help?
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

no individual tree values from Streets

Post by Jason.Henning » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:14 am

Unfortunately there is no way to generate individual tree benefits using i-Tree Streets.

This is a limitation imposed by the way Streets actually calculates it benefits values. Instead of calculating benefit values for each tree then summing those up it creates diameter distributions and calculates the benefits for different species and diameter classes. This is a result of how the data the models were based on was collected. It also has to do with Streets being developed as a sampling tool. The expectation was that most people would be conducting samples and would therefore be more interested in population estimates rather than estimating benefits of individual trees within the sample.

You can check the Archives (http://www.itreetools.org/resources/archives.php) for more information on the methods behind i-Tree Streets.

Depending on the the number of trees you are dealing with you could try i-Tree Design (http://www.itreetools.org/design.php) for generating individual tree benefits.