use of i-Tree software on a network

Post here questions, comments, and suggestions about the general i-Tree project. To avoid duplication, please be sure to check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include background, purpose, requirements, hardware, installation, training and events.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

earth spark

use of i-Tree software on a network

Post by earth spark »

Can the i-Tree software be loaded on a server to be used on a network? It would make backup more reliable for us even though only one pc would be using it.
jstratton

Re: use of i-Tree software on a network

Post by jstratton »

earth spark wrote:Can the i-Tree software be loaded on a server to be used on a network? It would make backup more reliable for us even though only one pc would be using it.
Spark, unfortunately many of the applications in the i-tree suite need to access their databases locally. So, you do need to install the software on the actual machine that you plan to use it from, just because that is where the applications "know" to get to the data.

So, for best results, you do need to install the applications to a local computer.

The good news is, some of the applications can reference their data off of network shares. For example, Stratum, using a Stratum formatted inventory file, can have the back end database on a network share, which you can then select when you set up the project.

UFORE works in a similar way, where you can define your project and put the data on server shares.

Other aspects of i-Tree though need to work with that data locally. What you can do in those cases, is make sure the necessary .mdb files are copied off on a regular basis and put on a network share. Or you can possibly include the computer in the backup routine, if you want to remove the manual step and automate it more.
earth spark

network solution

Post by earth spark »

Having the software installed locally is no problem. I'll have to talk with our tech people but it sounds like backing up .mdb files in this situation won't be difficult.