I- Trees Eco Sampling at a District Scale: 92,800 Acres

Post here questions, comments, and suggestions about the general i-Tree project. To avoid duplication, please be sure to check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include background, purpose, requirements, hardware, installation, training and events.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

JonClark

I- Trees Eco Sampling at a District Scale: 92,800 Acres

Post by JonClark » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:40 am

I am working on an i-Trees Eco project for a local authority in the UK.
Our objectives are to make the business case for trees within the authority and specifically, to help positively influence spending decisions re park, street, garden and rural trees.
We only have capacity to do 200 (0.1 acre) sample plots, giving us one plot per 464 acres and I am concerned that this will adversely affect the standard error of 10% and hence the value of our results.

Can anyone out there please advise whether we are right to have this concern and if so, what the standard error might be in the above scenario?
A further question which follows from this, is how we tackle this- perhaps by using one 200 sample grid for the urban areas and a 50 sample grid with a higher standard error for the rural areas?

Any advice/ suggestions would be very gratefully received.
Many thanks, Jon Clark.
Jerry

Post by Jerry » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:05 am

Have you looked at the USDA Forest Service's FIA sampling protocol?

http://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/pubs/gtr/gtr ... srs080.pdf

That procedure involves intensified subplots that might offer some help for your case.

Jerry