Using iTree to get generic $$ value of a specific species

Post here questions, comments, and suggestions about the general i-Tree project. To avoid duplication, please be sure to check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include background, purpose, requirements, hardware, installation, training and events.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

slimwhitman

Using iTree to get generic $$ value of a specific species

Post by slimwhitman » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:52 pm

I am developing a preferred tree list for our metropolitan area. I thought I would be able to enter a generic set of trees into the database to see how they compare and which tree species provide more value at a certain DBH.

In short:
Acer rubrum @ 24" = $0.00(how much benefit)
Platanus 'Bloodgood' @ 24" = $0.00(how much benefit)
Quercus bicolor @ 24" = $0.00(how much benefit)
Zelkova serrata @ 24" = $0.00(how much benefit)

That would weigh into the preference of the tree. Can this be done in iTree? I was not able to get it to do that. If not, are you aware of another resource with that information?
i-Tree Support
i-Tree Team

Using i-Tree for generic dollar values

Post by i-Tree Support » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:56 pm

The easiest and quickest i-Tree tool to use for benefits of an individual tree is i-Tree Design which is an online tool that basically requires an address, tree and tree dbh to start with. You can check the box to evaluate energy effects of a tree relative to a property. You will just need to trace the boundary of a house using and then place the tree around the structure. http://www.itreetools.org/design.php

i-Tree Streets can provide similar information but requires you install software and configure a project for data entry.

Al
a member of the i-Tree Team
slimwhitman

Re: Using i-Tree for generic dollar values

Post by slimwhitman » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:14 pm

i-Tree Support wrote:
i-Tree Streets can provide similar information but requires you install software and configure a project for data entry.

Al
That website was easy.
I did install the software, so I will attempt to do it as well in the iTree Streets model as well....if I can figure it out. My list will be specific to street trees, so that might provide more valuable data.