Disparities in Tree Equity Scores Between Census Blocks

Post here questions, comments, and suggestions about the general i-Tree project. To avoid duplication, please be sure to check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include background, purpose, requirements, hardware, installation, training and events.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

Anne

Disparities in Tree Equity Scores Between Census Blocks

Post by Anne » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:11 am

Hi,

I am doing tree planting in 3 census blocks that show very similar Score Indicators. 2 have similar Tree Equity Scores and 1 has a score much higher than the other 2. I'm curious what factors came into play to cause the similar CBs to have such different scores. The CBs are:

530330104012 - WA Congressional Dist 9
530330275002 - WA Congressional Dist 7
530330279001 - WA Congressional Dist 7

Thanks for any insight! :)
Erika.Teach

Re: Disparities in Tree Equity Scores Between Census Blocks

Post by Erika.Teach » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:45 pm

Hello,

Are you using i-Tree Landscape?
If yes are you referring to the Redline Dataset found under the Health menu?
If yes the redline labels are defined as follows:
Only at the US Census Place level. Classification grades A, B, C, and D, are from percent of total area covered, meters squared of canopy, meters squared of impervious, and tree benefits. The benefits per meters squared of tree canopy cover: Carbon (storage / sequestration); Pollution (removal / monetary value); Hydrology (transpiration; interception; avoided runoff / monetary value). Not every census place will have redline information. The redline classification may not cover the entire place. Places can have any combination of grades (not always all four grades). Redline boundaries are sourced from Mapping InequalityRedlining in New Deal America.

Does that help?

Best, Erika
Anne

Re: Disparities in Tree Equity Scores Between Census Blocks

Post by Anne » Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:12 pm

Thanks, Erika!