Dead Trees

Post here questions, comments, and suggestions about the general i-Tree project. To avoid duplication, please be sure to check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include background, purpose, requirements, hardware, installation, training and events.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

melimel

Dead Trees

Post by melimel » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:59 am

I have some questions about dead trees. The manual states that if you are unable to identify a dead tree to genus, then the default would be to call it a hardwood or softwood. We currently send our data to Syracuse in excel files, which consist of the database itself, a 'group' file, and a 'native' file. My questions are:
1. What kind of information do we enter into the 'group' file for a 'hardwood'
2. What kind of information do we enter into the 'native' file for a 'hardwood'
3. How does the model interpret 'hardwood' from the plot data in the outputs, e.g. carbon sequestration and storage?

Thanks for any help you can provide and I look forward to your response.
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Dead tree entry

Post by azelaya » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:08 am

Hello,

There have been some updates regarding dead tree entry in Eco. The manual entry data form now allows a user to enter "dead tree softwood" PICLASS or "Dead tree hardwood" MACLASS for unknown dead trees. The PDA will also allow MACLASS and PICLASS to be entered. (See Page 28 of the Eco manual)

The Eco model report will list dead tree hardwood or softwood in the output files as one of your species with values for carbon, etc based on averages since there is no specific species or genus information supplied by the user.

Note- also many of the values for manual entry of dead trees have been updated and are identical to the values generated by the Eco PDA dead tree defaults. This is why there are several (-1) entries for dead trees values such as height of crown base.

Last, the Forest Service will no longer accept Excel files with data from users because of the amount of time and errors associated with data submitted in this manner. Data will only be accepted that is submitted through the i-Tree application which has data integrity checks to allow for model processing. Therefore, the native and group files/tables within the Eco structure do not need any additional information from users for dead tree entry.

Hope this helps clarify,
Al
A member of the i-Tree Team
melimel

Post by melimel » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:14 am

Okay, well thank you for your response. This does help clarify.