Ancient trees vs Young Trees

Post here questions, comments, and suggestions about the general i-Tree project. To avoid duplication, please be sure to check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include background, purpose, requirements, hardware, installation, training and events.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

cosmo8

Ancient trees vs Young Trees

Post by cosmo8 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:03 pm

Hi, Thanks! for the reply's to my other posts.

Do you have general data on Old Growth Redwoods(There are some in smaller urban areas).

There is somewhat of a discrepancy whether its young or ancient redwoods that absorb more carbon(and criteria air pollutants), produce more oxygen, and evapotranspire at higher rates. Once and for all which is it? Can/will you process info for one tree or a much smaller plot to be used as an example?

Evapotranspiration rates are so important to the hydrological cycle, cloud formation, rain, climatic variation. Especially where forested areas have turned into urban islands.

Thanks again.
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Post by azelaya » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:49 pm

Sorry, I don't have general data on Redwoods that would help you with your question. Yes, you can submit one tree or an example plot to the Forest Service for anlaysis.
A member of the i-Tree Team