Field Data

Post here questions, comments, and suggestions about the general i-Tree project. To avoid duplication, please be sure to check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include background, purpose, requirements, hardware, installation, training and events.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

cosmo8

Field Data

Post by cosmo8 »

Hi, I'm new to i-trees...

I am in an Academic Setting and would like to know more about being involved with i-trees academic. Could anyone help? I feel this program will be very valuable to my final projects this semester Spring 2010. Though trying to explain this program and the field data needed to my group members is overwhelming.

I've been reading the manuals, downloaded the software, and overall been trying to get atop the learning curve.

I go to just enter the minimum data needed into i-trees eco (spp, dbh, and height) and the interface asks me for a bunch more information.

What should I do? and How do I get all the reports to activate?

Within i-trees streets it seems the data needed to be aquired is beyond my ability to obtain? What option do we have as college students to allow for i-trees integration with time being a major limiting factor?

Thanks for any advise you have..
Peace
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Eco field data

Post by azelaya »

The i-Tree Academic Coordinator is Dr. Dave Bloniarz and his contact info is on the Academic webpage and I copied it here also.

i-Tree Academic Project Coordinator
Dave Bloniarz
US Forest Service
i-Tree Academic Project Coordinator
e: dbloniarz@fs.fed.us
p: 413-545-3755

Eco requires much more data than species, DBH & height as you are basically giving the model canopy metrics which is how functional benefits are determined. Unfortunately, there is no simple solution or short cut. You will not be able to run reports until data is entered and then it has to be submitted and analyzed by the Forest Service. You will only have access to the sample project reports in the meantime.

Time is a major limiting factor for just about everyone considering an Eco project. If you are interested in doing a project, consider building a coalition of others who may be interested in the project and find value in the information. Despite the time and data factors, students from many countires have successfully completed projects.

Good luck.
Al
A member of the i-Tree Team