Pocket PC Recommendations?

Post here questions, comments, and suggestions about the general i-Tree project. To avoid duplication, please be sure to check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include background, purpose, requirements, hardware, installation, training and events.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

Tnels1

Pocket PC Recommendations?

Post by Tnels1 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:24 pm

We're trying to decide if we want to invest in PDAs and are wondering if there is any particular Pocket PC that recommended or works better than others with the ECO software.
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Pocket PC recommendation

Post by azelaya » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:31 pm

We are limited to the models that we test and occassionally use for training for comparison as we mainly focus on compatibility with the operating system. We are currently using HP IPAQ Pocket PCs running Windows Mobile 5 & Windows Mobile 6.0 and they have functioned well for us.
In addition, I would also take a look at posts from other i-Tree users reporting known issues regarding PDAs and compatibility. http://forums.itreetools.org/viewtopic. ... hlight=pda

PDA requirements for i-Tree v3.0 are listed below for reference.

PDA requirements for i-Tree v3.0
• Windows Mobile 2003 or higher OS
• .NET 2.0 compact framework (included in i-Tree installation)

Regards,
Al
A member of the i-Tree Team
Tnels1

Panasonic Toughbooks

Post by Tnels1 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:27 am

Can we use our Panasonic Toughbooks w/ Windows XP Tablet PC Edition as our field data collection device? Is the iTree data collection utility supported by this operating system?
azelaya
i-Tree Team

iTree v3.0 requirements - Panasonic Tough books

Post by azelaya » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:13 am

You should be able to work directly off the TB for data entry if you desire as long as it meets the requirements below which it sounds like it does as you mentioned you are running Windows XP.

If you are using Eco you can then enter data directly into the manual data entry form after going through normal project set up steps. If you are using Streets, you can enter data directly by selecting Input- Records and then selecting New. This will essentially walk you through dialog boxes that will allow you to enter field data directly without using a PDA. Normal Streets project set up steps will still need to be followed.

Here are the requirements for a laptop or desktop installation of i-Tree v3.0 software:

System RequirementsDesktop/laptop computer requirements
Minimum hardware:
• Pentium or compatible 1600 Mhz or faster processor
• 512 MB of available RAM
• Hard drive with at least 500 MB free space
Software:
• Windows XP service pack 2 or higher OS
• Microsoft Excel
• Microsoft Data Access Component (MDAC) 2.8 or higher (included in i-Tree installation)
• .NET 2.0 framework (included in i-Tree installation)
• Adobe PDF Reader 9.0 (included in i-Tree installation)
• For PDA users, ActiveSync 4.5 or higher for windows XP or Mobile Center 6.0 or above for Vista (included in i-Tree installation)
• Crystal Report 2008 Runtime (included in i-Tree installation)

PDA requirements
• Windows Mobile 2003 or higher OS
• .NET 2.0 compact framework (included in i-Tree installation)
Richard

PDA recommendations

Post by Richard » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:55 pm

I wonder if we can use a netbook such as
Gateway LT2016u? This seems to be priced much lower than the handheld PCs.
azelaya
i-Tree Team

i-Tree data collection on netbook

Post by azelaya » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:53 am

Unfortunately, all the i-Tree applications are not currently modified to run on the smaller screens of netbooks yet. Therefore, you may not be able to see all the data entry fields properly.

i-Tree Species has been updated to run on netbooks and the other applications will be addressed in the near future as time permits. Please also keep in mind that if you were planning on using a netbook instead of a PDA for data collection, you would then be entering data manually directly into the data entry screens of the desktop applications. This is an interesting idea given the price of netbooks but I'm not sure about their battery life and durability in the field.

As updates are made to the applications, they will be detailed in the change log http://www.itreetools.org/resources/con ... %20Log.pdf

Al