Street Segment

Post here questions, comments, and suggestions about the general i-Tree project. To avoid duplication, please be sure to check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include background, purpose, requirements, hardware, installation, training and events.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

NRintern

Street Segment

Post by NRintern »

I have collected a sample inventory and did not use GIS software to determine the street segment (the two options in Section 2.7.2 in the Manual). While collecting the data I recorded street addresses and street intersections if no address was present. What should I input into the StreetSeg field? It is not a full inventory, so entering zero is incorrect. Thank you.
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Street segment

Post by azelaya »

Hello,

The street segment needs to be a positive integer. As you mentioned, zero is used for full inventories. You also mentioned that you are working with a random sample. if Tiger/line files were used to create the sample inventory, the Tiger line TLID is the street segment.
A member of the i-Tree Team
NRintern

Post by NRintern »

The streets that we collected the data on are streets which are the main access to public schools in the city. I did NOT use GIS or the Tiger line from geography network to make a sample inventory. What should I input for the streetseg in that case.

The streetseg data does not effect the reports on energy savings, etc. does it?

I attempted to generate a sample street segment generator report, but the manual uses terminology and steps that do not correspond to the new version of GIS 9.3. Is there an updated version of the manual that would be correct to use with the new version?

My main difficulty was selecting the city in ArcMap from the entire county. When I would generate a sample street segment it would generate it for the entire county. The procedures in Appendix B and in 3.4.1 are not compatible directions for ArcGis 9.3.

What is the purpose of the streetseg? Is it only to generate a random sample?
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Street segment

Post by azelaya »

Street segments in STRATUM are used in the model to extrapolate data over the entire population of your city/project. The number of street segments that you inventory out of the total segments in the study area will be also be used to calculate standard error. Therefore, it does influence your outcomes including energy savings data, etc.

Regardless of the method that you used to determine a random sample, you will have to assign a unique number for street segments. If your random segments are based on blocks, street names or a certain length of distance along streets, you will still need to assign them a corresponding unique number.

Hopefully, this clears up what the value is for and why it is relevant in the model.

Unfortunately, there is not a compatible version of itree available for ArcGIS 9.3 at this time.
A member of the i-Tree Team
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Maybe it's worth pointing out that you do not need the i-Tree utility to produce a random street segment sample. It can be done in any GIS by downloading the county road and places files from the Geography Network site, isolating out the place you want as a shapefile, and using the latter to clip the former. I gather that ArcGIS 9.3 now allows you to clip using a graphic, which should make stratification easier in the future if I understand it correctly.

I am not a GIS person, but am able to use an open-source GIS called QGIS to clip my street file--and that program is cross-platform so can be used on Windows, Mac or Linux (where I operate).
NRintern

Post by NRintern »

One last post on this subject, I hope. Should the data I collect for EACH tree have its own unique streetseg number? When I go to import the data into stratum from Microsoft Access, it says "You must enter total street segments for each zone." I used street addresses as my unique number for the streetseg field. I counted the number of different street addresses I had for each zone and inputted that information for the number of street segments.

Then, I counted the number of blocks that I collected data on for each zone. When i input that number for the number of different street segments my energy saving, stormwater benefits, etc. were drastically different from when I used different street addresses as my street segments. Should I use the number of different street addresses as the number of street segments or should I use blocks?

Standard error in all the reports was reported as N/A.
smaco
i-Tree Team

Post by smaco »

Hi,
Normally, street segments are stretches of road that are uniquely numbered between intersections and/or nodes. There may be hundreds or thousands of these depending on the size of the community being inventoried. It is the aggregate total of all these segments that STRATUM is asking for, not the number of these segments that you sampled.

Because street segments are stretches of road, there may be many trees that are recorded with the same street segment ID or number. This should be reflected in your inventory where StreetSeg is NOT unique record by record.

I am concerned that you may have some fundamental flaws in your sampling scheme and am more than willing to discuss with you by phone. Just let me know!
--Scott
a member of the i-Tree Team