Tree growth

Post here questions, comments, and suggestions about the general i-Tree project. To avoid duplication, please be sure to check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include background, purpose, requirements, hardware, installation, training and events.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

Ivor Davies

Tree growth

Post by Ivor Davies »

What is the recognised definition of a tree seedling?
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Tree Growth

Post by azelaya »

I passed your question on to the Technical Services Librarian at The Morton Arboretum in Lisle, IL to see if there was something with more depth than what I was finding. However, I guess the recognized definition probably depends upon the source. Here are a few examples that were passed along from the good folks at The Morton Arboretum.

Hi, Al,
Thanks for your question. I've culled through our collections and find the definitions tend to be a bit similar/generic. I've found the following definitions:

"The quality of all seedling trees and shrubs is assumed to be normal for the species or variety unless otherwise designated. All plants are to have developed root systems, to be free of insects and diseases as well as mechanical injuries, and in all respects to be suitable for field planting. All conifers must have dormant buds (except in the South) and secondary needles."
Source: American Standard for Nursery Stock, 1997.

"Propagation by seeds is the major method by which plants reproduce in nature and one of the most efficient and widely used propagation methods for cultivated crops. The plants produced are referred to as seedlings. This term is significant in horticulture in that in this text it refers to the life cycle of a plant grown from a seed in contrast to a plant started vegetatively from cutting or grafted plant."
Source: Hartmann, H.T. Plant Propagation, 5th ed., 1990.

Seedling - A plant newly formed from a seed as distinct from one propagated by layers, buds, or other vegetative methods.
Source: Swartz, Delbert. Collegiate Dictionary of Botany, 1971.

Seedling - A young plant that has grown from a seed.
Source: Hickey, Michael. The Cambridge Illustrated Glossary of Botanical Terms, 2000.

Seedling - A young plant developing from a germinating seed.
Source: Little, R. John. A Dictionary of Botany, 1980.

Seedling - A young plant that has developed from a seed.
Source: The American Horticultural Society Encyclopedia of Gardening, 1993.

Hope this information helps!
A member of the i-Tree Team
Ivor Davies

Tree seedlings

Post by Ivor Davies »

Thanks azelaya. A great help. Ontario government giving away millions of trees (free) to municipalities. Ours declares they are almost useless and describes them as seedlings. I wondered.