Park Inventory

Post here questions, comments, and suggestions about the general i-Tree project. To avoid duplication, please be sure to check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include background, purpose, requirements, hardware, installation, training and events.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

nbridgeman

Park Inventory

Post by nbridgeman » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:37 pm

I am about to start our City's Park Inventory. I'm still trying to decide which application to use; UFORE or STRATUM.

UFORE is very in depth and I like that, but the plot based inventory might be too much for this smaller project.

STRATUM is great for street trees and I think would be better cause of the effect of urban structures on trees and vice versa.

Most of our parks are new with small stature plantings with some residuals left throughts the parks. Any advice?
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Park Inventory

Post by azelaya » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:33 am

Hello,

You seem to have a grasp of some of the strengths and limitations of STRATUM and UFORE. Yes, you are correct that STRATUM was designed for street tree applications and that may be the limiting factor as to what would be the best tool to use in your application. The STRATUM model may not be representative of the resource you are working with since it is based on street trees which grow in different conditions than park trees. UFORE is adaptable to various scale projects like small parks. So, that is a viable analysis tool for your application.

Remember, both applications will give you structure and function values for your resource at a given point in time. However, they are intentionally not designed to be used as traditional inventory management programs. Since you are dealing with a park inventory project you may desire GIS functionality for locations and the ability to track management actions, etc. It is important that you choose an application that will best help you achieve your desired project objectives.

You are doing the right thing by asking others for their advice. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss more specifics of your project and I can help connect you with others who can share their experiences with you.

Al
A member of the i-Tree Team
ekuehler

Post by ekuehler » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:45 am

We have been working with University of Arkansas Little Rock and with Auburn University using UFORE as a complete inventory rather than a sample inventory in small greenways or around campus. I have put together a collection of tools including a GPS data dictionary (for units running TerraSync), a formatted excel spreadsheet, a data collection sheet (if wanting to use paper and pencil), a quick-start guide to using UFORE as a complete inventory, and more. The UFORE complete inventory results will give you annual carbon storage and sequestration results, annual pollution removal (including CO, O3, NO2, PM10, and SO2) results, annual BVOC emissions, CTLA value, and leaf area and biomass info. All of this is by tree as well as for the entire area. Cut and paste the following URL or go to www.urbanforestrysouth.org and use UFORE as the keyword search. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions. Good luck with your inventory.
http://www.urbanforestrysouth.org/resou ... term=UFORE