Access table for Relating Family to Species?

Post here questions, comments, and suggestions about the general i-Tree project. To avoid duplication, please be sure to check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include background, purpose, requirements, hardware, installation, training and events.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

rgthurau

Access table for Relating Family to Species?

Post by rgthurau »

Has anyone created a table of tree family names that could be related to the species master list?

I'm wanting a family name for each of our inventory trees.

Thanks

Rich
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

You can get up-to-date family info from the Plants database for native and naturalized trees. And Michael Dirr has that info for every species in his Manual.
rgthurau

Post by rgthurau »

Yes, lots of plant info in the Plants Database. What I am looking for is a database table or spreadsheet that would be formatted to relate to either the species codes in iTree, or to the Genus species names in the "Botanical_Name" field from the "Trees_Species_PDA" table. Any simple table published that contains a spreadsheet with fields for genus, species, and family for all regional (or all) trees would work.

This seems like something that would be an important product for anyone wanting to categorize their street tree inventories by family.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Sorry, didn't understand that you were looking for the document instead of the information.
This seems like something that would be an important product for anyone wanting to categorize their street tree inventories by family.
You are right, which may account for its absence. Besides satisfying curiosity, what practical purpose would that information have?
rgthurau

Post by rgthurau »

One of our foresters here quoted an article stating the relative abundance for a healthy urban forest should 10%, 20%, 30% for any species, genus, family, respectively.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Yeah, that was sort of what I thought you were going to say...

In his well-known article on Dutch elm disease from the Metria 7 proceedings, Frank Santamour introduced this 10-20-30 rule this way:
For maximum protection against the ravages of “new” pests or outbreaks of “old” pests the urban forest should contain...
And back in the article he comments:
In summary, tree monocultures may only pose major problems when the numbers of trees are large and the area occupied by the trees is restricted <snip> There are relatively few tree genera in which there are several species with proven value as urban trees, most notably maples (Acer) and oaks (Quercus).
Finally he comments about the family level that there are really only two of concern: the rose family (Rosaceae) and the legumes (Leguminosae or Fabaceae).

Given this restriction, I sort of wonder if a best management practice would be to start with the biggest problems, namely species and genus. In many of the northeastern communities where I am, those two objectives alone would take many years to attain. Once those problems are finally taken care of, we can start worrying about the family level.

What do you think?
rgthurau

Post by rgthurau »

Well, although I have a formal education if Forestry, I never did have great training in pathology. My perspective on the most destructive forces for trees that I've seen or heard of (Chestnut blight, dutch elm, emerald ash) have all been at least genus level. Perhaps forest tent catepillars or the gypsy moth are family related in their diet?

Regardless, my role for the past four years has been grounded in GIS and spatial analysis. This project I'm working on is setting up some long term (indefinate) indicators of forest health. Related to topic of sustainability, I feel that even though we haven't seen something yet, does not exclude it from the future. Perhaps that's more philosophy than science.

Regardless, I told our team I could do it, so I'm going to add it to the analysis. I've created the table for pretty much all NA tree species. So, if anyone is looking for such a table useable to relate back to the Master Species table in iTree, they can contact me and I'd be happy to share.

Thanks for the feedback.

Rich
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Sounds good, nice work.

You could also post that document in Tips and Tricks if you are so inclined.